Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Failure

I tried. I really did. But I just couldn’t do it.

Blood Diamond had been sitting on the end table by the couch since last week and I was determined to watch it. I popped it in the DVD player last night after Adam went to his 3-on-3 meeting. From 00:00:01 it was violence, warfare, and Leo with a bad accent. I made it through about 45 minutes before I threw in the towel. And this movie is almost 2 ½ hours long.

I admit defeat. I really didn’t care if they recovered the big diamond and righted all wrongs. I was just tired of people randomly driving up in trucks and taking out whole villages. I know this is the reality for too much of the world but I guess I’m one of those people who prefer to escape into a better reality by watching movies.

There are probably a few others still on the list that might have this same fate but I’m honestly trying to sit through them all. Perhaps this is the Cinderella Man for this year…

Still on the list to watch:
Children of Men
Curse of the Golden Flower
Dreamgirls
The Good German
Happy Feet
The Last King of Scotland
Letters from Iwo Jima
Little Children
Notes on a Scandal
Pan’s Labyrinth
The Pursuit of Happyness
The Queen
Venus
Volver


I actually started Venus a while back but had to return it before I could watch it all. That was during the house-buying/cleaning/moving time period.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to say I've actually seen most of these, so I'll weigh in with my thoughts.

Children of Men - ok. 3/5.
The Last King of Scotland - Quite good.
Little Children - good movie, but the ending sucks.
Pan’s Labyrinth - You'll either love it or hate it. I loved it.
The Pursuit of Happyness - cute, but not exceptional.
The Queen - Quite good
Venus - Good. Bittersweet ending.
Volver - Didn't like this one. Too much "playing along wtih someone's bad decisions".