Thursday, January 18, 2007

My head is swimming with wedding thoughts

We have set up a meeting with Father Mike for next week to work out the details of the ceremony. I don’t really have a lot of opinions about it. I saw Katie’s format and that general outline is fine for me. I’ve left the readings up to Adam and with the addition of a vocalist, I expect our service will be very similar. And that’s fine with me. This might sound all wrong, but the wedding ceremony itself is not that important to me. I know that’s where we take our vows, but everything else around that is just not interesting to me. I’m aiming for about a 15 minute ceremony. More than that and I think we’ll just be depending on filler. What else is there to do but 3 readings, vows, rings, unity candle, ta-da we’re married? I guess we’ll see what happens when we talk with Father Mike.

We also got a hold of Alice (the vocalist) and she’ll be coming to the meeting with have with Tom (the organist) on the 30th. It sounds as though she has a lot of songs in her repertoire and will be singing some she particularly likes. I’m kind of set in my choices for the important parts, but I’m more than willing to let them go nuts with the pre- and post-wedding music. I’m still debating if I want a stand-alone song during the ceremony. On the one hand I’m thinking it might be nice to just stand there for a few minutes and listen to her. Kind of a moment to breath between things. On the other hand, I might get antsy standing there feeling stupid in front of everyone. Katie had a poem read at her wedding so I suppose it’s kind of the same concept. I guess I’ll see if something she sings catches my attention and make my decision from there.

There are lots of other things to do too. As soon as I get my act together I’ll be submitting our engagement announcement to the local paper. When it runs I’ll be sure to scan it and post it on the wedding site. I also just made a list of the things we still need to get before the wedding. It’s not really too long. We’ve done a good job so far. Of course, my list is much longer than Adam’s. How unfair is that? I’ve still got to get my veil and headpiece and other accessories along with gifts for various people. Together we still need tapers for the church and some random things like a guestbook, favors for the reception. We also still need to book our hotel in Seattle for the night before our cruise. And shore excursions – I’ve had problems with NCL’s website so I might have to give in and call someone about it.

Adam got me an “obsessive-compulsive” action figure a few weeks ago. On the back of the box it has this little quiz you can take to see how OCD you are. One of the symptoms was “you make lists of your lists.” I’ve been so bad about this lately. I’m a total list nut. I always have a little notebook in my purse and I write down everything. At home I have various spreadsheets about different things. Right now I’m trying to decide where I want to get my hair done so I have a spreadsheet of all the local salons so I can compare pricing. He thinks it’s odd. I think it’s organized. Anyway, I’ve got lots of lists about wedding stuff. The overall list of things we need to get done isn’t too bad. I plan to look everything over in the next couple days though and see what we can do sooner rather than later.

No comments: