Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Diet Update

I’m completely failing at my attempt to drink 5 bottles of water each day. I haven’t made it even close to that target. I’m getting about 1 ½ to 2. I suck. But at least I’m not drinking coffee or soda. Adam did point out that I got a sugary raspberry lemonade when he was craving Culver’s this past weekend. True, but I only drank about 3 sips so I don’t think it negated all the good things I’ve been trying to do.

In other dieting news, yesterday we went to the grocery store together for the first time in quite a while and I picked up some haddock and some pollock. Both are apparently non-fishy white fish. I’m going to find recipes that I can deal with - preferably something that has an interesting sauce that will mask the fish taste. I’m trying to like fish. It’s just not working too well.

I also took all the massive chicken breasts that come in a big bag at the store and weighed them all out on the scale to be appx 4oz each since that’s the recommended serving size. There was one breast in there that weighed over a pound. It was huge!

I’ve decided to continue making my own pasta sauce and stop buying the Prego stuff. Not only does it make the house smell yummy as it cooks all day, but it tastes good too. And hopefully contains less salt and preservative type stuff than the jarred sauce does. And it’s probably cheaper to make. I think I still have one jar up in the cupboard so I’ll either use that or give it to a food pantry. Speaking of which, I should really go through our cupboards to see what all is in there. I’m afraid to look at some of the expiration dates!

We’ve been going crazy with the Lean Cuisine sales lately. I keep getting coupons and different groups have been on sale since the year began. I take one for lunch everyday and generally Adam takes one for lunch and one for dinner (if he works both jobs.) He’s getting tired of it though so I’ve instructed him to find something he’d like to eat and I’ll make it for him. I like to be accommodating. He’s not completely on board with my diet plan so I figure I can make him what he likes and then do my own thing separately. That’s usually what happens anyway since we hardly ever have dinner together anymore (and he likes icky foods.)

I’ve been consciously trying to choose my food carefully, avoiding fried foods and other “red light” foods. In addition to trying to eat better I’m trying to be aware of portion sizes. Both Adam and I agree this is probably our biggest downfall. I read the Low GI diet book a few weeks ago and found it interesting. I think it’s something I could do since rice, pasta, and most potatoes are green light foods. I’d die on a low carb diet, so this might work for me. One oddity I found was the whole open-face sandwich thing. They have a list of fast food restaurants and what things are acceptable at each. They tell you to eat all sandwiches without the top piece of bread. That seems like it would be kind of difficult. Or maybe I’m just a messy eater and need the other piece of bread to keep all the insides, well, inside. I don’t know. I’m kind of doing a half-assed version of it right now, continuing to eat “bad” foods we already have at home.

I’ve gotten on a Special K kick lately too. In reality it’s not that great for you, but I figure it’s better than Cocoa Pebbles. They also came out with snack bars that I take with me to work. Snacking is really big with the GI diet so I try and stick with that.

Anyway, enough of that. I’m doing what I can. In any case, I think there’s no danger of not fitting into my dress. I lack the enormous amount of motivation it would take to accomplish that.

No comments: