Thursday, September 14, 2006

Red Tape Chronicles Article

There’s a Redtape Chronicles article over of MSNBC.com that is causing quite a stir. It involves freecreditreport.com, a website that, coincidentally, makes you pay for their product. Truth in advertising much? Anyway, I’ve browsed through the 300+ user comments and I’m amazed that I keep coming upon the same comment: “I was charged $12.95 for 6 (or 8, or 12) months and didn’t even realize it.” HOW COULD YOU NOT REALIZE IT?

Ok. So perhaps I’m the only one who awaits the arrival of my monthly credit card bill like a child waits for dawn on Christmas Day. Maybe I’m the only one who takes the statement out of the envelope and painstakingly matches all the charges to the receipts I’ve kept on the desk for the past month. I also get to balance the account in Microsoft Money. It’s the highlight of my month, I tell you.

How can someone be charged for something for a year and never notice it? Maybe these people deserve to be taken for a ride. If you’re so lax about your credit and where you money is going, you’re the perfect target for identity thieves and other scammers. I don’t understand people who pay bills without looking at the detail. That’s just stupid…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a second... you "wait for the envelope to arrive"? How do you not do your accounts online and paperless? I couldn't stand the anticipation of having to wait for my bills/statements to be mailed each month -- not to mention the fear of someone stealing my identity from some bill misdelivered or stolen from my mailbox!

Anonymous said...

I'm an accountant... I like the paper trail. I keep track of the transactions online but I still like getting an actual hard copy of the statement. I do wish our mailboxes had locks though... you'd think a complex this new woulda thought of that...