Thursday, September 21, 2006

FOCCUS

We have our first FOCCUS meeting tonight with a married couple from Adam’s church. I don’t really know what to expect. I’m not sure if we’ll be doing the 150+ question compatibility questionnaire tonight or if something else is planned. I’m not nervous, exactly. I just don’t like going into situations not knowing what to expect. With most of the other things for the wedding I’ve done some research before I show up so I know what I want and I know what to expect. This is completely foreign to me. The fact that it’s a church-based program doesn’t really alleviate any misgivings I might have either. I know this program is a requirement in order to get married in the church. I suppose in theory it’s a good idea to discuss things and work out kinks before you’re legally bound together. I’m just wary about the religious ramifications. I don’t think this couple, the priest, or Adam would appreciate me expressing my true feelings about certain things. But I can’t, with a good conscience, go along with things I don’t believe. But is the “smile and nod” approach the safest thing to do here anyway? I just don’t know. This is, by far, the thing I’ll struggle with the most. It will definitely get interesting when we go back to Father Mike and start planning the ceremony itself. *sigh* I think I’d better stop before I launch into another essay on religion.

No comments: