Thursday, September 28, 2006

Fall

(wrote this yesterday)

It’s definitely getting to be fall. This morning was the first morning I could smell it in the air. It rained all night and was in the chilly 50s as I left for work this morning. The combination of the rain and the leaves that have already fallen on the ground gave the air a definite “fall” smell. Trees are getting yellow, orange, and red and pretty soon there will be that one really cold night that causes their leaves to go *whomp* and fall to the ground. It’s a pretty funny phenomenon, actually. One day the trees are prettily tricked out in their fall colors and the next day they’re naked. Aaah, the beauty of four seasons.

Yes, despite the numerous jokes about Wisconsin weather, we do indeed have four of them. Unfortunately, my least favorite is coming up next in the rotation. I dislike winter for many reasons, most of which involve a pesky white substance. I can deal with the subzero (literally) temperatures and scraping the frost off my car windows in the morning. I just don’t do well with the snow thing. I hate walking in it. I hate driving in it. I hate other people trying to drive in it. Ugh. Luckily my new morning commute is much shorter than it used to be and I avoid the winter death-trap known as the Butte des Morts bridge. Let’s hope this global warming thing will make this year the least snowy winter ever.

Anywho, I’m still making due with my Columbia jacket and, on occasion, the Cisco fleece Adam’s former team members sent him last quarter. I’m going to resist pulling the winter jacket out for as long as possible. And it better not snow before Thanksgiving…

No comments: