Friday, February 17, 2006

Snow Part 2 (and other stuff)

I suppose we got a decent amount of snow – local channels say about a foot in Green Bay, a little less in the Fox Valley. I don’t know. I just expected it to be much worse. They pumped this thing up as the first big snowstorm of the year. Someone from The Weather Channel was even here to do on-site reports. I just wasn’t impressed. Meh. Adam took some pictures of our parking lot last night when he got home from work. They show the drifts of snow in front of our apartment building.



I left work yesterday around 11:30. It was a few hours of indecision on the people above me’s part until finally they said if I was feeling uncomfortable about waiting around I could go ahead and leave. Of course I left. Duh. The roads really weren’t that bad. The place I expected to be the worse (the Butte des Morts bridge) wasn’t bad at all. There was a slow down near Jackson, but as long as people drove relatively sanely, it wasn’t too nerve wracking. Of course there was the occasional asshole in his pickup truck who’d fly by at excessive speeds, kicking all kinds of crap up at everyone else in the other lane. There were also a surprisingly large number of semis who did the same thing. When a semi flies by you, you really have no hope of being able to see when they throw all kinds of crap all over your windshield. *sigh* Stupid winter drivers. The horrible plow company hired by our apartment complex sucked once again by not plowing at all. People were getting stuck in the drifts of snow at the entrance to the parking lot. Even this morning it wasn’t plowed. It stopped snowing around 7 last night. How hard would it be to get a plow out here? *sigh* again.

This weekend will be interesting. Adam has off for the third Saturday in a row. We’re going to go set up our joint “household” checking account in the morning. I went to the UW Credit Union at lunch today and took out everything except the minimal amounts needed to keep the accounts open. That’ll stay there until I know the direct deposit and withdrawal works. The rest will be put into my Capital accounts tomorrow. It was funny – when I told the teller at UWCU what I wanted to do she was like “you must be buying me something special.” Pfft. Then as I was leaving she said “make sure to put that in a good place.” I said (under my breath), “like into another bank?” Heh. We’ll probably do some shopping and Adam needs a haircut. Then we get to do some housecleaning so the place looks presentable when my dad and Cheryl get here in the evening. We planned to go to Olive Garden because I have a gift card but apparently they don’t take reservations on weekends. That’s kind of dumb. Oh well, their loss. We’ve got reservations at Good Company instead. I know, I know, we were just there. But it’s a good restaurant that’s generally not too noisy. Not sure what’s going on Sunday yet. Adam works a short shift in the afternoon I think. Nothing is planned at this point (that I know of, at least.)

No comments: