Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Progress

Back in July/August of last year I had my biometric testing for my health insurance through work and my doctor’s appointment within a few weeks of each other. At my biometric testing appointment I was informed my blood pressure was high (147/88) and was given a card to remind me to talk with my doctor. When I went to the doctor my blood pressure was high (138/90) and this time the doctor gave me this little booklet and asked me to track my blood pressure for a few months on my own to see how much the “white coat syndrome” might be affecting me. I ended up buying a small wrist blood pressure thing to monitor myself.

At the same time, I started changing my eating habits. I cut out fast food, fried foods. I never drank much anything other than water, but I tried to stay away from the soda that Adam had around the house. My weaknesses are carbs (especially potatoes) and ice cream. I tried to stick with baked potatoes (they’re lowest on the GI) and low-fat ice cream (like Skinny Cow.) I also started using the treadmill that had languished in the basement for over a year.

Just after the new year began, Adam kicked into “get healthy mode” as well. Not sure what inspired it, but he’s taking it very seriously. Whereas I just try to not eat so much and eat better things, he’s counting calories and drinking whey protein shakes. Whatever works I guess. In any case, for the last few weeks we’ve both been using the treadmill pretty much daily. He wakes up early and uses it in the morning. I use it after dinner, before bed. It works. Then last week I decided to resurrect my Billy Blanks Tae Bo videotape I got my freshman year of college. The VCR is in the office so that’s where the Tae Bo-ing goes down. Adam decided to join me on Monday and then again last night. It’s definitely more challenging and interesting than a treadmill. I’ve pretty much got the tape memorized. I did it every morning the summer between my freshman and sophomore years. I made my dad promise to stay upstairs until 6:30 every morning because I’m sure I look ridiculous. Anyway, now Adam and I look ridiculous together.

We also went out and got a new scale. I’ve had an old school scale since like 2001 and I wanted a digital one that had all kinds of bells and whistles – body fat, bone density, etc. It’s kind of neat. Back in July/August I weighed (mumble mumble) and as of this past Sunday, I’m down a total of 19 pounds, 4 of which came in the last week. My blood pressure at last reading (also done weekly now) was 128/83. So something must be working. I’ve got a long way to go before I’m where I want to be – ideally the weight it says on my driver’s license, which has been a laughable lie for a good 6 years now. More short-term, I want another 20 gone by May when we go to New York. Longer term, I hope by my next birthday to be where I want to be – which means another 40-50 between May and February. We’ll see. It’s not going to be easy.

But it’s not just about a number either. I noticed almost immediately how much better I felt when I stopped eating so much junk. I also never want to have to take medication for hypertension or cholesterol. I don’t want to be diabetic. I’ve got more important things to spend my money on. I’ll try and do a weekly recap from now on to keep me motivated and accountable. This week might not look so hot – I’ve been overindulging in chocolate. Stupid Valentine’s Day…

No comments: