Monday, June 18, 2007

Moving Sucks, Part...16 (I had to count how many times I've moved...)

*Deep sigh*

So, where to start. First off, wedding invites were mailed Friday so (if you were invited :)) you should get them soon. Already got one RSVP back (from Adam’s parents.) The fun starts now.

Second, moving was an experience. We got up pretty early Saturday morning (I’m talking pre-6 am early) since neither of us could sleep. I took the bed apart as soon as we were out of it so I could wash the sheets. Adam went to pick up his sister and the pressure washer. I packed some stuff into my car and met them over at the house. We got the washer hooked up and left his sister at the house with that while we went to pick up the U-Haul. Literally 2 seconds before we pulled in a lady in a minivan parked. She apparently had reserved the same van that we had. 15 minutes later it was worked out that she’d get the 15 foot van and we’d get the 24 foot van for the same price we had paid to reserve the 15 foot one. After driving it back (at $.99 a mile) to the apartment we realized we didn’t have the appliance dolly like we’d requested. Rather than hassle with the U-Haul people again Adam called True Value and rented a dolly from them. After returning with it we started loading up the van. We were about 2/3 done when it started to rain just as my dad and Cheryl arrived. It proceeded to pour and rain sideways during the remainder of our loading process. While it definitely felt nice since it was so hot out, it was a pain because the ramp got slippery and our stuff got wet.

We drove the mile or so to the house and began unloading the truck. It was still raining but Adam was able to back the truck up enough so the overhang from the garage shielded us and our stuff from the rain. While Adam hooked up the washer and dryer in the basement, my dad and Cheryl went to get some lunch. After lunch we finished unloading the truck and Adam finished washing the parts of the deck his sister couldn’t get. We returned the dolly and U-Haul truck and then went back to the apartment with our cars to get the smaller stuff and the pets. After two or three trips I returned to find that my dad and Cheryl had taken off while I was at the apartment. Oh well… Katie and I relaxed inside while Adam mowed the lawn. When his parents arrived we ran to Walmart to buy bags of dirt for his mom and aunt to spread on Sunday and then his parents took the pressure washer and his sister back up to Appleton. Meanwhile I made the bed, unloaded some bathroom stuff, got the pets settled, and collapsed. Adam got the TV in the bedroom set up and probably lots of other things but I can’t remember them now.

Sunday morning we got up and got the computer room set up. We went to breakfast and then went shopping. When we returned his mother and aunt showed up to do the aforementioned yard work. I went to the apartment to pick up another load of random small stuff. Adam put an office chair and bookshelf together, got slides on the chair legs in the dining room, set up the living room, and once again probably lots of other stuff. I spent most of the afternoon laying in the guest room with a headache. Last night we went grocery shopping for the first time in about a month (and it was painful to see the total!) Adam got the new blinds up in the master bedroom so that transformation is near completion – just waiting to get sheer curtains.

I haven’t taken any pictures recently. I’m waiting for the disaster areas to be cleaned up a bit first. Tonight I’ll be unpacking CDs, DVDs, and books so I can use those boxes to bring the rest of the kitchen over. Other than that the only stuff left at the apartment is holiday stuff and games and a few boxes that were too heavy for me to carry down the stairs. And cleaning products. Because after we get everything out we get to clean. Woo!

We have our first camping trip in Door County this weekend so we’ll get some relaxation time before the last big push to get the apartment cleaned out and get the house party-ready.

No comments: