Friday, February 16, 2007

Valentine's Day Recap

Wednesday went pretty well. Kind of.

I made the dinner I had planned to make. I think the next time I make steak and pineapple kabobs I might not put a cup of pepper on them. But once you burned your taste buds off they were good. We popped open a bottle of champagne Adam brought back from California. It’s good that he’s got strong hands because otherwise we’d have a hole in our ceiling. The mini angel food cakes turned out kind of weird because I overfilled the pans. They ended up looking like big muffins. But they still tasted good. I filled the apartment with smoke while grilling the steak and had to open the patio door, letting the sub-zero wind in. I tried to do a candlelight dinner but really that’s just not practical. You can’t eat when you can’t see. So I ended up turning on 1/3 of the sun (a really bright lamp in the corner) so we could function. Overall, tasty food with not-so-perfect preparation or presentation.

I had ordered a totally cool gigantic fortune cookie from 1800flowers.com to be delivered to Adam at work. It never showed up. Adam talked with the FedEx delivery guy and found out it was sitting in California and had never been scheduled to be picked up. So after sitting on hold for 15 minutes I finally emailed their customer service department. I got an automatic response yesterday and nothing since. Adam got home last night and tried to call and he kept getting disconnected. He tried again this morning and after 30 minutes on hold he got through. Turns out they ran out of cookies. And it didn’t occur to them to let me know even though they had run out BEFORE I PLACED MY ORDER. They were going to just ship it when they got it. He told them to cancel the order and refund my money. I’m kind of disappointed because it was a totally awesome gift. They’re going to send a 20% off coupon but I’m wary to use their website again considering the service I received with this order. I’ll have to decide what I want to do. His birthday is coming up so I suppose I could try again then.

Adam had already given me chocolates on Monday and had let me know I wasn’t getting a card. But he did order lunch for me and have Erberts and Gerberts deliver it to my office. That was nice since I had forgotten to bring lunch with me.

So it was an alright Valentine’s Day. Not exactly the way I had planned, but that’s generally how life goes.

No comments: