Friday, February 16, 2007

The Endless Struggle

Lately I’ve been debating with myself whether I want to go back to school or not. I’ve researched the MBA program at UWO and it seems do-able. I know most of the professors and have even had most of them before. The classes themselves don’t seem overly difficult and I wouldn’t have to worry about a thesis. My main concern is the cost. The tuition reimbursement plan at work is very limited and the majority of the courses required wouldn’t qualify. I don’t know what kind of financial aid I’d be able to get governmentally without actually filling out the FAFSA. Each business graduate credit is running about $460. A full-time (9 credit) semester is over $4,000. Between paying for the wedding and trying to put together a reasonable down-payment for a house, I’m not sure it’s smart to go spending that kind of money. I’m also concerned about the time the classes are offered. They are all night-time classes (since I’d choose to attend classroom versions in Oshkosh rather than do online classes or weekend classes up in GB or Point.) This is good, but they run Monday through Thursday. Mondays I have hand bells and once a month on Tuesday is IMA. No matter how I swing it I’ll end up missing meetings and practices if I choose to enroll.

The process of enrolling isn’t too painful. I’d have to find my way to Brookfield to pay $250 and take the GMAT. I’d have to dig out an official transcript. I’d have to update my resume (which I should probably do anyway.) I don’t doubt that I’d be accepted. The problems would come after that.

I don’t know that having “MBA” behind my name would make me any more valuable to my employer. I don’t need it for what I’m doing right now. In actuality I’d probably be better off spending my time and money getting a certification. I don’t know what I want to do. I think I’m more comfortable with the spread out pressure of classes as opposed to the focused pressure of the CPA or CMA examination. Although considering the people I know who have passed those exams I would likely have no problem passing them myself. I just lack the motivation to study like crazy. It doesn’t help that right now I feel like none of these options would increase my earning and power potential at work.

The pros and cons aren’t really helping me make a decision. Adam has indicated at times that he’d like to go back to school and get a bachelor’s degree. I think if we had to choose between him and me, I’d tell him to go. Sometimes I wish I had an endless flow of money. If I could pay for it without worrying about the financial consequences I think the decision would be a lot easier. I can’t rationalize that I’m making an investment because I really doubt my salary will increase by $10,000 if I get the additional degree.

Argh, I’m talking myself in circles.

No comments: