Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Romantic Plans

I have big plans for tomorrow. Well, at least tomorrow evening. I’ll be cooking a Valentine’s Day feast. When this day falls mid-week it doesn’t really make sense to go out and cooking for yourself is generally cheaper, healthier, and more satisfying. Plus, at home we can eat in our pajamas. What beats that?

Anyway, the menu as it stands right now is this:

Pineapple and steak kabobs
Glazed baby carrots with tarragon (which will probably get magically swapped with dill since tarragon=ew)
Rolls
Strawberry angel food cake with whipped cream frosting
sparkling, bubbly drink of some kind (not sure what we’ve got sitting at home)

Adam works until 6ish so I should have plenty of time to get this all done before he comes home. But don’t worry – it’s not a secret. I ran this menu past him this weekend so I don’t mind if he reads this post before tomorrow. Of course when I asked him what he wanted he said something like, “you, dipped in chocolate” so he wasn’t really much help in the planning process. :)

I expect it will turn out to be a delicious meal and I plan to take pictures of it all. I’ve been slacking on my cooking website lately mostly because I’ve been slacking on my cooking. I lack motivation to cook things just for myself. Usually what I end up doing is making a big pot of pasta one day and then eating the leftovers for the next week. That’s not very picture-worthy. There are some good recipes in the latest issue of the Rachael Ray magazine though so perhaps I’ll try out a few of those. I’ve got plenty of food in the house to work with. I just seem to be falling back on microwave popcorn a lot lately. Adam recently changed his schedule at Walmart and will have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday off so perhaps that will help too.

Adam gave me a big box of meltaways last night. He tells me he had to give them to me early because he bought them that afternoon and didn’t want to risk eating them all before tomorrow. It also came with a big meltaway heart that I’m embarrassed to admit I ate last night in one sitting. But I haven’t eaten any of the boxed chocolates yet. I’m trying to resist them, but they’re so good. Adam also informed me that since he couldn’t find one he liked, I will not be getting a Valentine’s Day card. Pfft. I’ve never been this “holiday”’s biggest cheerleader so it’s not a big deal to me. The fact that he has off from work and can spend the evening with me is good enough. Let’s just hope that we don’t annoy each other too much.

As for what I got him – that IS a secret I can’t reveal yet. :)

No comments: