Friday, February 16, 2007

Countdown: Six Months to go!

We’re at the six month mark. Not much has really changed since the last wedding devoted entry. I still haven’t gotten up to Kaukauna to get my veil and I still haven’t picked which hair place I want to go to. Or which nail place I want to go to. I’ve never gotten my nails done before so I’m thinking maybe I should start doing that before August, just to make it easier on the poor person who has to do them the day before the wedding. My nails have always been a pain. They are brittle, break into layers, and are generally ugly. And don’t even get me started on my feet. Perhaps I should reconsider the open-toed shoe choice if it means I have to let someone near my feet to make them presentable.

Anyway, I’ve got some things I need to get done to finish the clothing and accessories part of my job. Other than that we’re still kind of in a holding pattern until invitations go out. There are some small things I can still do, but mostly it’s revamping the invitation, investigating postage, and waiting. It’s kind of nice. We plan to meet with the DJ and do some menu tasting at the reception hall soon. I suppose we should also confirm music choices since we kind of left it open with the organist. There’s plenty of time for that though.

I’ve been devoting a lot of my time lately to preparing the various invitations, program layout, and stashing additional money into the ING account so it can make us some money before we blow it all. It was my goal to stick with the $10k budget (excluding honeymoon and rings) and we’re pretty close (right now my estimates put us at $10,363.) It was also my goal to pay for everything in cash (well, on a credit card which I then pay off each month. Yay worldpoints!) and we’re doing well with that goal too. By my calculations, we should be able to pay for everything upfront when it’s due. No use starting off married life in debt. Right now I’ve got the money to pay off the cruise and photographer, two of the big chunks still outstanding, sitting earning interest. The other big chunk is the reception, which we won’t have an actual number for until a few weeks before the event. Other incidentals (like postage) and the rest of my stuff is the final piece of outstanding expenses. I obsess over every dollar and love looking at the budget. I’m so weird…

I’ve started putting together a new page for the website that will also be a part of the bag we give to out-of-towners. It’s kind of a guide to the area so they have things to do while they’re here. I plan to stop out at the Fox Valley Tourism place in Appleton and get their official brochures but I also wanted to highlight the things I think are interesting and worth checking out. Hopefully this will make everyone’s stay enjoyable and not boring. There are lots of things going on during the summer in the area so there should be some good stuff to do.

I also have been putting together a rough schedule for Thursday and Friday and designating responsibilities. There’s a lot to think about and I want to make sure everyone who needs to be in the loop is there. It’s going to be hard for me to delegate jobs to other people. But it’s just not realistic for me to be doing everything that needs to be done on Friday. Especially when wearing the big white dress. I guess I’ll have to have some faith in other peoples’ abilities. It’s going to be tough though. Just ask Adam. I’m a total control freak.

No comments: