Thursday, October 20, 2005

Adventures in furniture shopping

Did you know that today is “Credit Union Members Appreciation Day?” Yeah, well, neither did I until I went to the bank at lunch today to cash my security deposit reimbursement (we’ll get to that subject in a bit) and was told to take some free food from their ample spread. Apparently not many members had stopped in to be appreciated during the morning. Good cookies though… Now if only they’d appreciate me enough to be open past 4pm or on Saturdays. And maybe even update their online banking site more than once a day. Although just the fact that they have online banking is a huge improvement since that just came into existence about a year ago. UWO CU sucks. I think I mentioned that before…

Anyway, back to this security deposit thing. I got the letter from my former landlord yesterday. It said (and I paraphrase,) “Oh we just LOVED having you as a tenant. You rocked! Here’s a list of things wrong with the way you left your apartment…” wherein it continued on listing stupid things like the carpet was dirty and I didn’t defrost the freezer. Bah! Thing is, they didn’t deduct anything from my security deposit for these “discrepancies.” I’m not going to make a big deal about them libeling me or anything since they didn’t charge me for any of it. But why bother listing that stuff if you didn’t take money from me? *sigh* I just don’t get it.

Continuing on with the stupidity that was my Wednesday, I got a bill from Time Warner (my favorite people these days it seems) forwarded to my PO Box from my old apartment. It was a bill for road runner service from 10/16 to 11/15. Hmmm. Seems to me I moved in September. I also got another bill at the new place for the cable/internet package deal thing we’ve got going on there. Funny thing is the credit I was supposed to get for a partial month showed up on the bill for the new place and they still went and charged me for the next month at the old place. Idiots. So I got to go to TWC at lunch today. I managed to sneak in right before the big lunch rush. There was only one teller there (kind of reminded me of the DMV) and she was pretty rude. They really need to work on their customer service. And their tech support. All in all, Time Warner really sucks. But there’s not really any other option for cable around here, so we’re stuck. Anywho, it all got taken care of. Who wants to take bets on whether I get another bill from the old place next month?

Adam got a call from his manager and was told he didn’t have to work at Wal-Mart so we decided to run up to GB and take a look at what the Furniture Seconds outlet had to offer in terms of a dining room table. After missing the exit, driving all the way through De Pere, and being caught by a very slow moving train, we arrived at the store. At 6:05. They close at 6. Luckily Adam had called them while we were waiting for the train to get out of the way and the guy there agreed to stay open a few minutes longer. We actually had to go in through the back door. Fortunately we found exactly the table we were looking for at a great price. I would have felt kind of bad if we had made the guy wait around for us and then left without buying anything. In any case, we bought it last night and Adam went and picked it up this afternoon. He should actually be putting it together as I type this. It was very similar to the one we had liked at Ashley except it was a lighter color, it had a formica heat-resistant top, came with 6 chairs rather than 4, and cost about $150 less. It is still a 42” round table that becomes a 42” X 60” oval when the leaf is in. I’m sure I’ll take a picture of it later.

No comments: