Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week in Review

Monday:
Calm before the storm, so to speak. I had meetings for most of the afternoon which made it difficult to respond to all the last minute IMA requests. But it all worked out. We had a full crew at bells and ended up shifting the tables down to make more room for the ladies manning the big bells. This put me around the corner from where I have been so I have a new view on things. I also end up shaking my bell right in Jane's ear for about 10 measures at the end of Sine Nomine, but so be it. :-)

Tuesday:
OMG. Tuesday was the beginning of the next wave of cycle counts. We had divided WIP into three sections we thought would be manageable to count and reconcile in one day. Boy, were we wrong. We got through the first section on Tuesday and called it a day since we were already almost an hour and a half over our alloted time. I spent my afternoon out in the receiving office moving materials in the system. Then I hightailed it out of there to get over to Robbins for IMA. For the massive crowd we had coming, we were all pretty organized so things went surprisingly well. No one showed up without a reservation. We did have a few no-shows, but that's fine as most of them had prepaid. The panel was interesting, things kept moving at a good pace, and even with a board meeting I managed to get home at a reasonable hour - albeit still almost 15 hours after I had left in the morning. But whatever. Who's counting?

Wednesday:
Day two of the cycle count. Not quite as bad as day one, but still, not the greatest. Once again, we majorly overestimated the amount of area that four counters can cover in four hours. Add to that a mini uprising among the material handlers and it was a teensy bit stressful. Not to mention the tension that continued to build in the receiving office. I know the accounting department has been perpetually ticked off at everyone for the past two months, but I think the receiving department might have us beat. Whew.

I got home a little after 5, fed some hungry kitties, and set about cleaning up the house a bit. Also caught up on some DVR shows. Weeks with IMA always tend to get behind.

Thursday:
Last day of cycle counting! This day went so well compared to Tuesday and Wednesday. We had an extra team of counters and they breezed through the main part of the warehouse. This even left us with time to circle back to a section that had been scrapped on Tuesday. Reconciliation is still somewhat of a problem, but I think we will be able to get it all done before next week's deadline.

While the counting went well, there was almost an all out drop 'em fight in the receiving office. It's not good. The inventory control group recently got incorporated into the accounting department instead of the logistics department and with no guidance thus far, everyone's kind of treading water. And some people are apparently close to drowning. Hopefully we get a chance to meet as a big group this coming week before they start to draw blood.

After work it was more catch-up. Thank goodness The Apprentice is back to a manageable hour-long format.

Friday:
Vacation! Woo!

I spent my day off taking Carly to the vet and bumming around. This is the first time I've taken Carly as Adam usually takes the morning off and brings her in. I determined that she hates car rides, but will tolerate them better if there's music on. But not all music. Miss Kitty has a discerning ear. She appears to like Mozart, but not Dvorak. Hmm. Anyway, she yowled the whole trip there. Continued to yowl as we sat in the waiting room. When we got into the exam room she hopped out of the carrier and wandered around. She loves the attention the nurses and vet give her, of course. She didn't seem to mind anything they did to her except for the major q-tips in the ears. Even the shots didn't faze her. But then it was back in the carrier. She yowled a lot less on the way back home - I credit The Magic Flute for that.

Overall, she's in good health. But she managed to pack on almost 1 1/2 pounds in the last year. Whoops. So, the plan of attack is to limit her dry food (hello carbs) and increase her wet. Also, we are supposed to try to get her to move around more. This entails shutting the other cats up for a few hours each day so she'll get her butt off the refrigerator more. So far she hates me for her limited food, but she did spend a good chunk of time by the patio door and other areas in the living room Saturday night.

After Adam was done with work we did our weekly shopping and stopped at Erbert and Gerbert's for dinner.

Saturday:
Since we did our shopping Friday evening, we spent Saturday morning watching Invictus. My reaction? Too much rugby. Adam pointed out that it's a movie about rugby. True, but so boring! Just one movie left on the list - The Secret of Kells, which looks to come out on 10/5. After getting ready to face the day, we headed up to Green Bay. Adam wanted a throwback jersey so we made a stop at the Packer Pro Shop. (It's a Monday night away game so that wasn't as crazy an endeavor as it might have been.) Then we went to lunch. We had planned to go to Olive Garden since we had a gift card but it was mucho busy so we went to Golden Corral instead. I don't know why. I admit it was my idea, but I don't know what possessed me. Buffets scare me, but I've been craving Golden Corral for awhile now so I just indulged myself. It was not good. Live and learn. I'll stick to Chinese buffets again.

After lunch we stopped at Adam's grandma's for a while. A quick stop at Seroogy's, Breadsmith, and then back home. We opted to skip dinner and just snack since we'd had kind of a late lunch and then too much chocolate at Seroogy's.

Sunday:
Adam's gone all day at a golf tournament. We watched Project Runway this morning as it had failed to record on Thursday so I had to catch the first re-run which was 10pm last night. DVRs are wonderful, but only when the information on the TV is right so it records! Grrr. Anywho, now I'm working through my to-do list: some cleaning, some baking, and some work. Boo for work. But this week is going to be nuts and I've got to get New London under control!

So far this morning I've got a load going in the dishwasher, laundry is started, and the cat room is cleaned up. Left to do? Cleaning my bathroom, washing our sheets, making the weekly dessert - Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies, purging the file cabinet in the office (one of the metal bars fell off because there's so much crap in the drawer!), making the dinner from last night (have to use up the turkey since it's defrosted), a few more blog posts in the works, and work stuff. Boo for work (again.) What I wouldn't do for a boring week...

No comments: