Sunday, September 19, 2010

Flash Back – Week in Review:

Monday: You know that children’s book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? Well this was the first day in about 3 months that I came home from work NOT feeling that was how my day had gone. We somehow survived our first SAP month-end process. It’s very different than how we did things in our legacy system, and, at least in my eyes, was a whole lot easier. Or at least it will be once we get the system to give us data that’s not complete crap.

I had dinner waiting in the slow cooker when I got home so I could eat quickly before heading back out for the evening. Yay for planning ahead. I stopped at both the Neenah and Appleton libraries before going to church for bell practice and I still somehow got there ridiculously early. So I sat in the car and took a mini-nap until some of the other ladies showed up. Apparently at some point between the mailing of the schedule and the first practice another ringer was recruited so we’re at full crew now. Except we were missing one person already on this first night of practices. Figures. No shake-ups in ringing positions. One new piece – but it’s a two-octave joke of an adaptation of the middle part of “Jupiter” by Holst. Why would she even be pulling two-octave stuff when she knows we have full three-octave staffing? Anyway. First ringing date is still up in the air – either Oct 10 or later in the month.

Tuesday: Had to fast overnight since both Adam and I had biometric testing bright and early in the morning. Nothing like a good stab with a needle to get your day off on the right foot. My blood pressure behaved itself and I didn’t gush blood this year, so that was good. Our new intern started, although it sounds like I’ll have little to do with what she does. I’ve been appointed the go-to “project girl” and while that gets the mundane daily tasks off my plate for the most part, it also makes me vulnerable to the “I need this yesterday and it’s really important” calls from multiple sources. Good thing I thrive under pressure… I got home after work and was informed that one of Adam’s brake rotors was cracked so he was going to replace it. I mostly stayed out of that, but had to be tool girl for a little while.

Wednesday: Another day that started with poking and prodding - I had my annual doctor visit necessitated by the stupid need for a prescription for birth control pills. But we won’t get into that again. I had originally had an appointment way back in August but they re-scheduled me twice due to “changing schedules.” Ok then. So instead of my awesome 7:15am, I was stuck with 8am. My doctor had recently moved across town to the big Aurora complex so I had no idea where I was going when I got there. I just went in the front entrance, walked to the first desk I saw and said “I have no idea where I’m going, but I’m pretty sure I’m in the wrong place.” Turns out I just had to go down the hall, take an elevator up a few floors, and I’d be in the right place. So that was good. I signed in about 7:45 and was called back about 5 minutes later. You hear that? EARLY!!!

Standard procedure for the most part. My blood pressure was pretty good for the nurse too – no lecture or tracking card this time. We got to talking about supplements and she told me to take additional Vitamin D and Fish Oil. I got lectured about my tetanus shot again…so maybe I’ll go back and get it this time. Then the nurse left and I got ready to settle in to wait for the doctor. I had barely gotten undressed, gowned, and hopped onto the table before she was knocking on the door. I was shocked! Yet more evidence that NPs are the way to go. Breezed through the rest of it (as much as it can be breezed through.) But there are some creepy medical tools out there people. This time she whipped out some fake breast that demonstrates what a lump would feel like. Disturbing. But educational, I suppose. Picked up some information on controlling cholesterol and supplements and called it a day. I was out the door by 8:30. Just amazing.

Then, of course I got to work and had to park in Timbuktu. They really need to work on the parking lot situation. It’s kind of ridiculous.

Wednesday evening we had our first Broadway show at the PAC - South Pacific. We had dinner at Anduzzi's across the street before the show. We also purchased our annual PAC reusable mug. Our seats are third-level right box seats and it sounds as though the other couple in our section are also season-ticket holders so we'll probably get to know them pretty well. They're an older couple and I swear I heard the woman moan every time they had plane and bomb sound effects. In any case, a well done performance. Adam and I disagree about the operatic voice on Emile (I maintain it was spot-on, he thinks it was too much. Although I will admit that every once in a while I was hearing Don Giovanni instead of "Some Enchanted Evening".) We'll miss the next show in November but I think getting season tickets was a good idea still.

Thursday: After all the excitement of the beginning of the week, it was back to boring normal on Thursday. Nothing much to report at work, and the evening was spent trying to catch up on DVR shows and a strange Wednesday schedule.

Friday: It was a rough day at work. Both of my backups were gone, I was pulled into multiple meetings I hadn't anticipated on going to, I was informed that pretty much everyone will be gone to management meetings all next week and they want me to spearhead the second full cycle count in as many weeks. Argh. Add in the usual five jillion emails and Master Data requests and the fact that the IMA meeting next week has become somewhat of a monster and I'm apparently responsible for controlling it and it makes for a stressful day. But I survived.

I got home, made dinner, and we settled in to watch our Thursday shows. I'd like to take this opportunity to tell NBC that they should can the two-hour Apprentice. Too much. Especially since Project Runway is an hour and a half this year. That's 3 1/2 hours right there. Ack! We somehow made it through and then pretty much called it a night.

Saturday: Shopping. Shopping. Every week it seems like our shopping takes more time than it should. This week we stopped at Jersey Bagel though (best bagels I've had yet) so it was slightly less painful. When we got home I spent a good chunk of time prepping IMA stuff. I kid you not when I say it took three hours to print nametags. And it took both Adam and I to get it done. The template was wrong, the printer was pulling the label paper differently than the test page. It was frustrating. But eventually it got done and I'm so over it. Spent the evening watching The White Ribbon so I'm down to two left to watch on my awards list.

Sunday: Today I have a whole list of things to get done before Adam brings Mark and Pat back with him for dinner after golfing. Most of the list is cleaning. I also hope to spend some time on a spreadsheet for work, but I admit that's going to take last priority.

No comments: