Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Closer Look: Martha's DVR

According to our DVR, these are the shows I currently have set up to record. Make your own judgements about what they say about me:

19 Kids and Counting (TLC): I always enjoyed the specials about the Duggars so when they got a regular show I was excited. It's gotten a bit stale this last season with their struggles with a preemie, but it's still fascinating to see how their family works.

Bethenney Getting Married (Bravo): Bethenney was always my favorite housewife on the Real Housewives: NYC so it was fun to see her get her own show chronicling her pregnancy and wedding. Not sure where it's going to go from here, but I'd watch it if they continued filming. She's hilarious.

Community (NBC): I admit it - I have a crush on Joel McHale. But the whole cast of this show is great together. Abed is a great character and his scenes with Troy are the best. Now if only Britta and Pierce were less annoying it would be perfect!

Four Weddings (TLC): This is kind of a self-indulgent series. Four brides attend each others weddings and judge each other. The one judged "the best" gets a fantastic honeymoon. It's fun to watch what other people think of someone else's wedding. We won't go into me judging weddings because we all know how that can turn ugly. (eh, AFM?)

Glee (FOX): I'm a little worried about Season Two for this show. I think they might have gotten a big head with all the awards and great reception it got for the first season. Hopefully they can keep going strong. At least I know there'll be some new songs to download to the iPod!

Hannah Montana (Disney): Laugh if you want, but I like this show. It's winding down and the last episode should be out soon. It reminds me a lot of Lizzie McGuire, and I liked that show too. Helps me feel young...

Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List (Bravo): Yes, she makes dick jokes and is generally offensive, but this past season she really showed she has a desire to make a difference - cervical cancer, gays in the military - she knows how to get people to pay attention. Plus she's hilarious. She's one person I might consider trying to see live if she were to come to the area.

Kendra (E!): When Holly, Bridget, and Kendra left The Girls Next Door I kind of stopped watching that show so I was glad to see that Kendra got a different show. I watched Bridget's beach show on the Travel Channel for a bit, but didn't really get into it or Holly's new show either. But Kendra I can watch. She's become such a different person from who she was on GND. Indulging my voyeuristic side I guess.

Law & Order: SVU (NBC): Still my favorite iteration of the franchise. I'm a little worried though with Benson guesting on the new LA version. Please don't get rid of SVU!!

NCIS (CBS): I still can't believe it took 5 seasons for me to discover this show. I didn't dig the LA version and stopped watching after two or three episodes. Give me Gibbs, Ziva, Tony, Abby, and McGee any day.

Project Runway (Lifetime): I miss the Models of the Runway this year, but so far, so good. Was a little disappointed with some of the "auf-ing"s so far, but my vote lies with pretty much anyone but Gretchen. Ha. Ok, let's go with Mondo. He's a little strange, but I still like him.

Rizzoli & Isles (TNT): It's like L&O meets NCIS. There was even an episode where it was like an former NCIS cast mate reunion. Anyway, overall, it's a good show - just way too predictable. I've been able to call the murderer almost every week about halfway through the show.

Run My Renovation (DIY): Showing my support for cousin Joanie. It's an interesting show and I was totally jealous of the bathroom on this week's episode. Major bathroom envy, seeing how mine is the size of a (small) closet.

RuPaul's Drag U (Logo): A spin-off of Drag Race, this show has real women being "dragulated" by some previous Drag Race contestants to increase self-esteem or solve some other problem in their lives. Intervention through drag! It's a real feel-good show and there's nothing like seeing Pandora Boxx or Shannel get all dragged up.

SNL (NBC): Oh Lord, anything has to be better than last season. Worst episode ever, eh January Jones? I'll stick around until they have Jon Hamm host again. Can't stand him.

Teen Mom (MTV): Another guilty pleasure. Living vicariously through others, I guess, since there's no way this would have ever been me. I'm kind of disturbed by all of these girls' relationships, but I suppose having everything recorded, edited, and played back might blow things out of proportion.

The Apprentice (NBC): As much as I enjoyed the Celebrity version of this show, I'm glad to see it get back to its original roots. You're fired!

The Good Wife (CBS): This show is so well written it's a joy to watch each week. I especially enjoy the enigma that is Kalinda. Oh, and Josh Charles. Heh.

Real Housewives of New York City (Bravo): This last season was tough. I liked the addition of Sonja, but I'll have to see who sticks around for the next season and decide if I want to keep watching it. Cannot stand Kelly. Got tired of "The Countess."

The Whole Truth (ABC): This is a brand new series, starting Sept 22. We'll see what it's like. From it's promo description it sounds kind of like what L&O: Trial by Jury was supposed to be (you know, before it got cancelled.)

So there you go - all the shows I have recorded for me by our DVR. Judge away.

No comments: