Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Vacation Day Four

On Sunday morning we checked out of the hotel (which also had a fridge) and headed over to my mom's before she went to church. We finally got a call back from Adam's co-worked Ed about lunch while we were there saying good-bye. We packed the rest of the cake and some blueberry muffins for the road. We were back in the car around 10. We headed up to Buffalo. We met Ed and his wife at The Anchor Bar.



They all had wings. I had pasta. And salad. What can I say - I'm a misfit. I prefer food that's "prete a manger" (imagine there are accents there.) We had some good conversation although I think the two guys talked about work too much which, in turn, led us two girls to talk about how the guys talked about work too much. Heh. After we parted ways we headed up to Canada. We hit some traffic at the border. It took maybe half an hour to get through. The customs officer (or whatever) was pretty nice, didn't hassle us too much. We had planned to stop at Marineland for a few hours but when we drove past it looked way too busy to mess with. We instead went to our hotel - another Radisson, in the Fallsview area.

We were too early to check in, so we took a map and headed down to the more touristy areas in search of souvenirs and cigars. We parked and walked down by The Secret Garden area (where we had lunch with the family last time we were here.) It was so hot. I think the temp I saw was 93. With very little breeze to help out I was dying almost immediately. Adam wanted his cubans, so we made the trek up a hill to find the store. The first one we spotted didn't take credit cards. Before we tried to find another one I demanded we stop at Smoothie Planet. Strawberry smoothie in hand, we found a second store that sold cubans and took credit cards. After that transaction was complete we waved "hello" to the falls and went back to the car. I managed to use profanity in front of a young girl when I saw the line for the elevator in the parking garage. Whoops. A ridiculous parking fee and a wrong turn later, we found our way back to the hotel and checked in. We opened the door to this view:



Amazing view, since we thought we had booked a cityview room. We had dinner at the Tony Roma's in the hotel. Yes, I know, there's a Tony Roma's in Green Bay, but people. It was hot. We were tired. And grumpy. And it was late. So Tony Roma's it was. The service was pretty horrible, but I had a honey mustard chicken sandwich (well, actually just the chicken) and a baked potato. Adam had a brisket sandwich. Pretty good, but nothing spectacular. After dinner we called it a night. I couldn't get any decent pictures of the falls lit up at night. Boo.

No comments: