Thursday, August 06, 2009

Healthy Choices

In an effort to eat better, I’m trying to branch out. Tuesday night I tried out turkey bacon for the first time. I’m not jumping for joy about it, but it wasn’t totally horrible. Adam ate all the leftovers so apparently he was ok with it too. It definitely isn’t a dead-ringer for the real stuff, but perhaps an occasional swap out would do some good. I also picked up a couple Larabars last week. I got the peanut butter cookie and apple pie flavors. The peanut butter one, not so great. But the apple pie one is mighty tasty. It says it has raisins, but I didn’t notice them at all. I’ve had the Soy Joy bars before and if you can get past their dense and dry texture they’re not bad. The Larabars are much more moist to begin with and, though they’re also kind of dense, I found them much easier to deal with. Lastly, I finally got around to trying the free Kashi frozen dinner I got a while back. I got the sweet and sour chicken. It wasn’t bad at all. If they weren’t so outrageously expensive I might swap Lean Cuisine for Kashi. It had their 7 whole grain pilaf, chicken, beans, peppers, and edamame. I’ve been wanting to get on the edamame train for a while. They look kind of like lima beans but don’t really taste like much of anything. I could probably sneak them in somewhere (like my hiding lentils in sloppy joes) but Adam seems to resist a lot of things. He says he doesn’t like them, but he eats them anyway. I’d welcome any other ideas anyone might have.

No comments: