Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Have a Nice Trip

Last night was our last summer IMA board meeting. We’ve got pretty much everything confirmed for the year. A little shuffling with the last two meetings, but they’re far enough away it’s ok if they’re not in stone. It looks like it will be an interesting year. We’ve got someone from the Timber Rattlers coming in to talk about franchise accounting, someone from the Packers coming in to talk about how they counsel new players about their finances. We’ve got someone from Goodwill coming to talk about their fraud fiasco a few years back. (Ironically(?) enough the person who stole the money was a member of our chapter. You know, before she got sent to jail.) Some Information security, some Lean, and we hope to get someone from the state in to talk about where Wisconsin’s part of the stimulus is ending up. We’ve got our usual suspects as well – tax updates, ethics. Nice variety. Hopefully we can get people to show up at the meetings.

Today I had (yet another) doctor appointment. I’ll be so glad when I can go back to yearly rather than six monthly. Cross your fingers for good results… Anywho, when I called at 8:30 (appointment was for 9) I was told the doctor had induced someone earlier this morning and was still doing rounds at the hospital. They told me to come in for 9:45. Whatever. So I show up at 9:40 and sit in the waiting room (being stared at creepily by some old guy) until 10:15. I get taken back, weighed, blood pressured, etc. When the nurse told me the doctor would be right in I was hardly optimistic. I thought ahead this time and brought a magazine with me up onto the exam table. I made it all the way through the February issue of Self before the doctor showed up. Although I admit I did skip the article on the new incarnations of denim… I give her props though – once again it was a lightning-fast procedure. If only they could get the wait time down to, well, less than an hour. I left around 11:20, picked up some lunch, and went back to work. As usual, my blood pressure was a little high so she gave me this card and I need to periodically test it myself to see what’s normal for me. Fun stuff.

Tonight we prep for our time away from home. I’ve got some cleaning, some packing. We’ll be leaving bright and early tomorrow morning so hopefully the cats behave themselves better tonight than they have the past few nights. Here’s our itinerary:

Thursday: Neenah to Cranberry.
Friday: Visit with grandparents and Aunt Marilyn. Cranberry to Hershey. Eat chocolate. Yum.
Saturday: Hershey to Jamestown. Visit with Mom. Adam to tinker with tools.
Sunday: Jamestown to Buffalo. Lunch with Adam’s co-worker (apparently we’re going to the Anchor Bar.) Buffalo to Niagara Falls. Marineland.
Monday: Niagara Falls to Kalamazoo. Fancy-Schmancy hotel for our anniversary. In Kalamazoo. Yeah. I know.
Tuesday: Kalamazoo to Neenah. Decompress. Hug kitties.
Wednesday: Back to work, and apparently everyone else in the department will be on vacation so I’ll be stuck catching up and covering all at the same time. Welcome home!

We don’t have a lot of time constraints for this trip. Most of it is a “we get there when we get there” thing. We’ve got Adam’s sister to take care of the furry ones, and one of our neighbors to mow the lawn if it gets out of control. Hopefully it all works out.

I’ve got a random day off next month, a morning off for IMA in October, and then a few days off before Christmas and that’s my vacation for the year.

No comments: