Monday, February 16, 2009

L'Amour...

Ah, Valentine’s Day. That most reviled of holidays. This year I heard it referred to as "Singles Awareness Day" and "Communist Day." Weird...

We actually went out for our “Valentine’s Day” dinner last Thursday. I don’t like crowds and I figured we could beat the red and pink craziness by taking care of it early. We went to Michiel’s in Menasha. A little smoky while waiting for our table, but not too bad in the dining room. Our jackets did suck up some of the smell though so we had to hang them in the garage over night to air out. Hopefully some day the smoking ban will have gotten to the whole state and we won’t have to worry about that at all.

Adam had a steak and I had the chicken stir fry. As far as I can tell, Adam enjoyed his meal, but I was not that impressed with mine. The chicken was dry, the peas were overcooked, and they only had linguine. What kind of place doesn’t have any short cut pasta? Anywho, we might go back again sometime. Not sure since they have the smoking thing against them already. We opted out of dessert at the restaurant and stopped at Culver’s on the way home instead. Their FOTD was cheesecake crisp. The ice cream was much sweeter than I anticipated. Almost tasted like Ben & Jerry’s Cake Batter. It was still good, of course.

Friday night we had dinner at home and then headed out to the Monkey Bar for the first time in what seems like ages. It was a lot nicer out than the last time we were downtown. Still kind of cold, but not snowing or windy. We were (of course) the first people in the door. The bartender is going to get to know us pretty well if we keep that up. We were through our first drinks before another couple arrived. They ordered one beer each, sipped it for like 20 minutes, and then left. Weird. The girl seemed very high-maintenance. Eventually the place began to fill up a little. A lot of Schenk people. We finally called it a night around 10:00 – way longer than we usually stay out. This was also reflected in my state of inebriation. I don’t get out much. Adam stopped for food on the way home and we headed to bed.

It was a bad night. Not because we went out. Because the cats had it in for us. Carly and JC began fighting with each other around 2am. Carly kept running around the bed and JC would follow her on the floor. She’d growl. He’d jump up at her. She’d hiss and throw a punch. Rinse, repeat. They just wouldn’t stop. I think at one point Adam got up and put Carly in the cat room in case she just needed to pee and JC wouldn’t let her get there. But they continued the ruckus after she was retrieved. They finally settled down and went back to sleep, but it made for a very unrestful night. We stayed in bed a couple extra hours in the morning.

When we finally got up we had quite a few places on our list for shopping. We went to Menards (of course!) where Adam picked up a vice and some new drill bits. We went to Fleet Farm for a replacement shovel blade. Grocery shopping. Sam’s. We stopped at Culver’s for lunch since we had a BOGO value basket coupon and my free birthday sundae coupons to use.

When we got home I baked the cake part of our at-home Valentine’s Day meal. Adam banged around downstairs with the shovel. I think I laid down to take a nap at some point. I really don’t remember. I just remember feeling crappy. Eventually I assembled the rest of the cake



and made the side dish.



Adam had gotten a lobster tail at Sam’s and that was his dinner. I was originally going to make steak, but since that’s what he had on Thursday, things got swapped around. (And I just now noticed that everything turned out to be RED. How cliche...) Everything worked out. I’m guessing we went to bed early.

Sunday morning we were up bright and early. I had bells to ring at the 8am service. Adam cleaned litter boxes while I was gone. He wasn’t home when I got back from church – he went to his parents’ house for a while to work on a Games! Magazine contest with his dad. I set about cleaning up the kitchen, doing dishes, laundry, cleaning up the rest of the pet room. Adam got back home, we had lunch. He watched the race, I watched part of it, went into the bedroom to watch something else, came back toward the end. It was “Adam makes dinner” night, but it kind of ended up being “Adam comes up with what’s for dinner and Martha makes it” instead. Not a big deal, since it was kind of a no-brainer, but still amusing. We caught the first HD Simpsons and then I finished cleaning up in the kitchen before heading to bed. I think I turned the TV off during American Dad because we were falling asleep.

Not too much kitty disturbance last night. Just the normal 5am pacing.

Today starts an unusually busy week. I have bell practice this evening. Tomorrow is IMA. Wednesday Adam will be gone golfing (indoors) so I’ll have an evening alone. Thursday is Wicked. Not a lot of cooking this week because of all this activity. I’ve got scrambled egg burritos on for tonight and then grilled chicken, plum, and onion kebabs on Friday.

No comments: