Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Keeping Busy

This week is shaping up to be an easy one from a menu planning perspective. Monday I had handbells and that always turns into a leftover night. Last night I had IMA so Adam was on his own while I had Chicken Cordon Bleu at the Bridgewood Conference Center. Tonight Adam’s parents are taking us out to dinner at Beefeaters for his birthday. Tomorrow night is our next PAC event, Swan Lake, and we plan to pick up dinner at Sal’s Pizza which is right across the street from the PAC. Friday I’ll be making popcorn shrimp. We’re not sure about Easter plans yet (that’s one of the topics for dinner tonight) but one of the meals this weekend will be taken care of by that. We also got a ham last week so I have that to make for our own Easter meal.

In other aspects, not such an easy week. As you can see, we’ve got a lot going on. Add to that a sinus something or other on my part and some random nausea on both our parts and it’s been lots of fun. I took yesterday off and spent most of my afternoon at the walk-in clinic. I’m not sure why it takes so long to get to the doctor when there’s no one else in the waiting room, but whatever. I got some nose spray stuff that is supposed to break up whatever doom and gloom is occupying my sinuses. We’ll see. I can’t explain the pukey feeling that Adam had last night and I seem to have this afternoon. Bad luck, I suppose. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious because, like I said before, this is a busy week.

The handbells play at the 11:30 mass on Sunday. It will be interesting. The adult choir will be there as well so the balcony will be packed. Well, the whole church will be packed and probably the chapel and community room as well (all those Christmas and Easter Catholics making their appearance.) But we’ll be especially cozy up in the choir loft. During our practices it seems as though there are a few members who are very inconsistent. There are times that everything goes great. Then the next time through the piece it falls apart. I don’t know why this is, but it’s frustrating. Hopefully everyone brings the good versions of themselves on Sunday. After Easter things kind of wind down church-wise. I think we play a few more times since Easter is so early, but things wrap up in mid-May.

There’s nothing else of any significance on the calendar for the next few weeks so hopefully the weather will keep improving and we can start doing outdoor things. The lawn has started peeking through in the front yard but the back yard is still completely covered. The few times I’ve opened the patio door up, JC beelines for it and seems to enjoy the outside noise. Conner creeps toward it but tends to get spooked by something before he actually gets to the door. I haven’t seen Ted over by it, but then again I never see him go into my bathroom but always catch him coming out, so who knows. For such a big cat, he’s surprisingly stealthy.

We’ve still had no luck trying to pet Conner and Ted. They seem to have gotten used to my presence and generally ignore me until I reach out to touch them. They still run away from Adam for some reason. JC has his moods: sometimes very cuddly, sometimes untouchable. He looks very crabby when he’s awakened from his naps. They all still get along for the most part. No one has been noticeably scarred either physically or mentally. I don’t want to give up on the notion of being able to pet the two older cats, but it’s not looking good. We also need to get them to the vet at some point and that might take a miracle. *Sigh*

On the rodent front, everyone is still alive and kicking. We’re somewhat amazed that Howie has lasted this long. And he is as spritely and energetic as ever. He continues to burrow, run in his wheel, gnaw on his log, and be generally psychotic at times. He also still nibbles on fingers. Grr. Gus and Barry just kind of hang out. They both chew on their respective items (Barry’s house is edible and Gus goes through TP rolls like you wouldn’t believe) and run nightly. Gus’ wheel has become pretty squeaky lately so I might have to look into that. Einstein is his same old scaredy-cat guinea pig self. Mo is going through another one of his “you shaved me, I refuse to eat now” phases. But seriously, when he couldn’t even get in and out of his house without flipping it over because his hair was so big, it was time to cut it. He’ll get over it. Guinea pig PMS I tell you…

Well, this has turned out to be longer than I planned. I’ll cut it off here before it gets out of hand.

No comments: