Monday, March 13, 2006

The Weekend

The weekend seems to have had its extremes. The weather here was beautiful, getting into the mid to upper 50s on Saturday and lower 50s on Sunday. And then it started raining and poured pretty much all night. Anyway, we had our appointment with the insurance agent late Friday afternoon. We got everything squared away but ended being there until about 6:15 or so. I ended up switching carriers along with Adam. We’ll see how that goes, not that I anticipate ever needing to call upon the insurance people anyway (knock on wood.) We stopped at Bed, Bath, and Beyond so I could look for a huge saucepan. To my dismay, the one I really liked was only sold in a set (which cost $150 or so.) We ultimately went with a 10 piece set that was on clearance for $30. It also had a $10 rebate. I also had a coupon. We ended up getting a $60 set for only $15. Woo us! We then headed back to Neenah for our 7pm dinner reservation at Gulliver’s. Adam had their all-you-can-eat whitefish special and I had grilled chicken. We also had a buy one get one free coupon for a pitcher of beer. Being the apparent light-weight that I’ve become, I think I got a little tipsy. Anyway, we then headed to Copps to pick up some bacon for breakfast the next morning. Then we went home and fell asleep while watching Prime.

We woke up on Saturday and I made pancakes and the aforementioned bacon for breakfast. We did some shopping and got a Madagascar video game that was on clearance and Adam spent a good part of the morning and early afternoon playing it. For being a children’s game, it’s not all that easy. We left for his birthday lunch around ten to 3. I had refused to tell him where I was taking him although he tried to get it out of me Friday night. I think he was happy with my choice of Outback Steakhouse. We had tried to go there a few times in the past but they always seem to be too busy. I thought if we showed up right when they opened we might have a chance of getting in and out in a decent amount of time. My plan worked. Their food is excellent and I would probably go back. Adam got their special 3 lobster tail dinner while I got grilled chicken (yes, I know, again, but this was much spicier.) We also tried one of their signature bloomin’ onions (also very spicy) and for dessert we got some brownie thing with ice cream and heavenly whipped cream. I think we both ate too much, but it was so good. We then headed to a few places in the area for some shopping. One of those stops was at Dick’s Sporting goods – the scene of one of my financial crimes. Adam wanted to get a new driver because his was dented. So I spent a while sitting on a bench in the golf pro shop while he tried out numerous clubs in their little driving range room. While there I noticed all the signs posted around advertising that they were looking for part-time help in the pro shop. When Adam was done and had selected the club he wanted I told him that I thought he should apply for the position. It’s very fitting for him and I think he might be happier there than at Walmart. He picked up an application on the way out and called the pro shop manager when we got home. He’s pretty much exactly what they’re looking for. He filled out the application and we went back up to Appleton to drop it back off at the store. We weren’t sure if the manager was going to want to talk to him right away so we left pretty early. Turns out he is going to be collecting applications for a few weeks and then will start making calls for interviews. This left us with an hour or so to kill before we needed to be at Skyline. We therefore headed to his parents’ house to bum around until club time. They were watching Nascar so we sat down and chatted with them for awhile. Then we headed to the club. We were seated on the front end of a table about 1/3 of the way back from the stage. I wasn’t fanatical about the location since it was right on the separation of tables where everyone walks to get to the bathrooms. Adam liked it though because he got legroom. We got there around 7:20 so we had some time to kill before the show started. We ordered our first round of drinks – Adam got a banana berry thing and I got a strawberry and cream. They have lots of floofy, girly drinks served with tons of whipped cream and an umbrella. The show itself was excellent. The MC was pretty good and the shrews themselves were hilarious. Definitely not for those easily offended though. It was obvious why it was rated “X.” I won’t go into specifics of their routines since it’s not really appropriate. :) It was a good time though. It was also shorter that expected by about 15 minutes. Meh. Oh well. Adam bought their CD on the way out and the lady in front of us asked a really retarded question (which I won’t repeat) and we wondered if the two shrews would use their answer to her in their second show of the evening. We laughed all the way down the stairs. Adam decided he didn’t want to go out to the bars so we just went home.

Sunday was another day. Adam (and to some extent, I) spent a good deal of the night in the bathroom. We’re not sure what we had to make us sick, but it must have been something. In any case, we were both pretty wiped out for most of Sunday. Adam spent a lot of time laying on the couch yelling at the TV (he was playing the video game again…) I cleaned the kitchen (well, the oven cleaned itself) and did laundry. Also went grocery shopping and cleaned Pigster's cage out. I’m planning on making two more of Rachel Ray’s recipes this week. I should devote an entire entry or maybe an entire blog to that book. Like I said before – it’s great, go buy it. Anyway, after Adam called in to work and found out he didn’t need to be there anyway he took a shower and we went shopping (again.) For some reason no one carries the Lysol ready-brush anymore. They have refills, but not the actual brush. I don’t get it. We got a new bed-in-a-bag set, some seashell inspired thing with greens and blues. It’s a lighter color scheme than our previous one. It caused a lot of struggle last night though with the sheets and comforter still being so stiff from being folded up. Hopefully it will work itself out.

That’s about it. It was a relatively busy weekend with ups and downs. This week should be kind of boring. Nothing much is planned. We have a Gambler’s hockey game on Saturday night and we’ll be heading down to Sheboygan to have lunch with my dad and Cheryl on Sunday afternoon, but the actual week looks pretty boring. Maybe I’ll be able to catch up on some sleep.

No comments: