Friday, December 24, 2010

Martha's Top Ten: Christmas Movie Edition

I'll readily admit that I'm not a die-hard Christmas fan. It was never much fun since both my parents worked in churches. We usually ended up celebrating at some weird time and it always seemed like a job. But I still have a place in my heart for Christmas movies. Here are my favorites:

10) White Christmas - yes, it's old, but the music is great. Reflects what Christmas should be about rather than what it's become.

9) Jingle All the Way - argue with me if you want, but I think this one falls into a "so bad it's good" category.

8) Miracle on 34th Street - the original with a young Natalie Wood. I think we all want to believe in Santa in some way.

7) Bad Santa - on the other hand... not if he's Billy Bob Thornton. This movie is more like an anti-Christmas movie but it's still great.

6) The Santa Clause - but not the twelve awful sequels it spawned (ok, so it was two.) I admit I might like this movie so much because of the hot head elf, Bernard:



5) Home Alone - aaaaaaah! Such a classic - bumbling bad guys get bested by an 8-year old. The first sequel was pretty good too. The second, notsomuch.

4) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - it wouldn't be Christmas if Clark didn't wreck something. Or a lot of things.

3) Mixed Nuts - this movie doesn't get the love it deserves. It's got a great cast and is a wonderful film.

2) Elf - Will Ferrell is kind of like Adam Sandler - most of the time he's too over the top, but every once in a while he really nails it. This movie is a perfect example of that.

1) The Muppet Christmas Carol - Love, love, love! this movie. I have been listening to the soundtrack pretty much non-stop in my car. I always watch it at least once a year. So many things to love about this one: the music, Gonzo and Rizzo, the Marley brothers... If you don't watch any other movie this Christmas, watch this one.

Now, you might notice that A Christmas Story is nowhere on my list. It was #1 on EW's list. I don't get it. It's a dumb movie. I can't stand it.

So there you go. My picks. Merry Christmas!

No comments: