Sunday, October 03, 2010

Week in Review

Monday:
Monday sucked. A lot. The day was going fine except that I had a headache. Then, around 11, it got a lot worse and I started getting nauseous. I left for lunch a little early so I could lie down for a little while in the hopes that I'd feel better. I almost didn't make it home. I spent the rest of the afternoon and late into the evening alternating bathroom time and lying down. Thank goodness we didn't have bell practice because I wouldn't have made it anyway. I finally stopped throwing up around 11 and managed to keep a small can of peaches in my stomach overnight.

Tuesday:
Still felt like crap, but went to work anyway. Month-end approacheth and all you know. Honestly, I don't remember specifics for the earlier part of this week. I was concentrating on not barfing at work. (I'm happy to say I was successful!)

Anyway.

After work Adam had decided he needed new pants so we made a combined Olive Garden/Fleet Farm trip, finally using some of the gift cards we had after two failed attempts. I still wasn't at 100% so I stuck with some soup and a few breadsticks. They were still on with their endless pasta bowls so I got some penne with meat sauce to bring home. I don't understand endless anything. Who can eat more than one bowl? You already get a huge bowl of soup and all the breadsticks you want. Who even needs an entree? But you have to order one to get the soup and breadsticks...so there you go. I always end up taking most, if not all of my entree home in a box.

Wednesday:
Wednesday I was almost feeling better. I still had to force myself to eat breakfast knowing I'd feel worse if I didn't even though I wasn't feeling hungry. Another unmemorable day at work apparently. We did have the annual employee cookout and I made the same mistake I made last year in choosing the chicken that they must marinate in Italian dressing. Gross. This years' salad also had red onions in it so that also made it pretty easy to not over-eat. Well, that and still feeling ooky.

I do remember not getting home until about 5:15. Not sure what happened there, but something must have come up that hindered my escape. Adam was out golfing like usual so it wasn't a big deal. The only reason I remember that is because it threw my whole nightly routine off. Wednesday is a finely coordinated effort because I have a lot to get done. Laundry, garbage, menu planning for the next week, dishes, catch-up on the plethora of shows that record on Tuesday. Luckily I fit everything into one load of laundry so I was done at a reasonable hour despite my tardy start.

Thursday:
Ah, the wonders of our new month-end process. I didn't have to get up early! I didn't have to get donuts! I didn't have to try and figure out what the hell people were talking about on their cycle count sheets! Really, I didn't have to do much of anything since the intern got New London access and closed all my jobs for me in a day and a half. (Have I mentioned how much I like this intern? She knew what a vlookup was without me telling her! Heaven!)

Wow, that's a lot of exclamation points in one paragraph. But really, it's so different and makes me happy. Most of the time.

My main mission for Thursday was to get our standard costs cleaned up so we didn't have any ridiculous inventory valuation issues like we did last month. ($26 million dollars for offsite converting anyone?) I had a couple of meetings, sent a bevy of emails, a barrage of IMs, and I think I got them taken care of. At least at first glance things look reasonable.

We had a meeting as a department to figure out who would be doing what this month since last month the Focus team kind of steamrolled us through the process. I ended up with my name next to a lot of things. But that's ok. I even get to run our really important time-sensative reports on the last day of the month at midnight GMT (currently 7pm.) Woo. So home with me came my laptop. At least they ran a lot faster this month than they did last month...

Friday:
I continue to sing the praises of month-end on SAP. Only half-sarcastically right now. I just can't believe how much easier it is for me. Day one for me consists mostly of reserve calculations. And with the crap reports they have, it takes pretty much all day. I did get them all done (minus some adjustments for costing changes done post-midnight) and even managed to get all of New London's day one items done as well. I rock. I did not manage to leave early like I'd hoped. Oh well, can't have it all...

Since Adam planned to do some yard work with his dad on Saturday morning we did our grocery shopping on Friday night. That kind of sucked. Walmart and the grocery store are so much more busy on Friday night than Saturday morning.

We contemplated going out but decided to stay home and be lazy. Plus, we had both Project Runway and The Apprentice to watch. (Boo, James. Now I have to find someone else to root for!)

Saturday:
I started my day by making a big pot of chili and throwing it in the slow cooker all day. I've put it all the freezer for later consumption. Appropriately, the weather has turned all cold and dreary. Since we didn't have our shopping to do, I spent the morning reading while Adam and his dad cut down and hauled away one of the trees in the backyard. Don't ask me which one - I wasn't paying attention and don't notice one missing. Landscaping is not my thing.

After that was done we made a trip to Simon's for cheese and Manderfields to check out their new location (oh, and have a donut since, you know, we were there...) We got a dog cookie at Simon's that we then took to Adam's parents' house since they're currently dog-sitting Lulu (our canine niece) while Katie and Chris are on their anniversary cruise. She devoured the biscuit in about ten seconds. It was kind of scary. We then made a stop at the Bulk Food store and then came home.

We ate lunch while watching Hot Tub Time Machine, which is easily the stupidest movie I've seen in quite some time. I think John Cusack agreed to be in it because the soundtrack would be cool. I've notice that a lot of his movies have kickass soundtracks and I'm thinking there might be a connection there... The rest of the afternoon was spent doing some more reading, and some updating on my cooking blog. I made the very labor intensive French Onion Soup Mac & Cheese for dinner and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sunday:
Today has consisted of cleaning litter boxes, rearranging the living room, making a big batch of spaghetti sauce which will then be canned, some reading, a lot of blog work, some IMA prep for October, a mini-nap. Who knows what tonight will hold? Hopefully a better night's sleep than these last couple. Carly is not appreciating her diet and she's making it crystal clear.

No comments: