Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stuff

Sunday afternoon after Adam got home from golfing and took a shower so he smelled less…manly, we did some shopping before heading to dinner. We stopped at Menards for a water heater blanket. We stopped at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for some ramekins (look for a recipe on the cooking blog this coming weekend) and some other kitchen accessories. Not able to find everything I was looking for (and still having some time to kill) we also stopped by Wire Whisk. They were out of the flat whisk I was looking for, but I did manage to find rubber-tipped tongs and an industrial grade rubber spatula. I also browsed around in DSW for a little while.

We still ended up at The Melting Pot about 10 minutes before they opened. We had a wonderful dinner – our usual Big Night Out with extra lobster for Adam. We were seated right next to the bar/wine room, which was a little distracting, and right by the kitchen so we were hearing “corner” and “door” throughout our meal. Aah, the memories of working in food service. *shudder* We were in and out in record time. We got home, I fed the starving cats, and we went to work putting the water heater insulator on. Man, fiberglass makes me itchy.

On Monday I threw a chicken in the crockpot for dinner, always a good plan in my opinion. Adam was home a little later than usual because his car stereo had been recalled and he had to have it replaced.

Tuesday night he had his first of three golf lessons (taught by a professional) at Golf Galaxy. They’re my anniversary present for him this year. When he got home we went to dinner – my night for the month. I was waffling between Hu-Hot and Outback Steakhouse and by the time I got home from work the last thing I wanted to do was have to walk around and get food. So Outback won this time. I tried their special Honey Dijon chicken. It was good – not spicy at all, which is a valid concern considering everything else that’s on their menu. After dinner we went to Younkers, where Adam had found a skillet online he thought might work. It took a little while to find it (it was in an aisle display) but we eventually located it and it will work for me. I’ve been looking to replace my 12” covered saute pan for a while now – the bottom is scratched (hence the rubber-tipped tongs) and it doesn’t cook evenly. We’ll see how this new one works out for me.

Last night we had free tickets to the Comedy Quarter since my name was drawn after I filled out a comment card the last time we were there. We had invited his parents and Mike and Donna to come along. We met his parents at Gullivers for dinner. This time I tried the chicken wrap – it was huge. After dinner we went outside to wait for Mike and Donna to arrive. They showed up a little after 7 and we went inside. We sat on the other side of the stage this time – by the exit. I’m not sure which side I prefer yet. I’ll have to go back a few more times I think. The emcee was not good. Even worse than last time. Every time he got up on the stage the atmosphere in the room evaporated. Just not funny at all. We had a special guest comic in addition to the feature and headliner so the show ran a little longer than the previous one had. All three were quite good, but the headliner was great. Kind of like the Untamed Shrews, but less offensive. Still a little uncomfortable to be sitting next to your in-laws while some lady is up on the stage making vagina jokes. Eh, what can you do?

That’s pretty much all the excitement for the week. I’m trying to see if anyone down in Sheboygan wants to do anything Brat Days related with me (since Adam’s probably going to be gone golfing again) but so far I haven’t heard back from anyone. Aside from my baking project, not much else planned for the weekend. I managed to burn myself quite nicely last weekend when making the (oh so yummy) chocolate mint bars, and again tonight while making dinner so hopefully I can avoid making this a regular occurance.

No comments: