Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Let's move on, shall we?

Perhaps a less, hmm, controversial topic?

We finally watched Frost/Nixon this weekend. It had been sitting on the end table for a week (or more). We just kept doing other things instead. We actually watched it in two chunks. We started it on Saturday night and, when Adam started nodding off on the couch, postponed the ending until Sunday morning. I am ambivalent. (Aah, random Threesome quotes pop into my head at the strangest times… seriously – it’s a great movie. It was on one of the movie channels last week. I can quote most of it word for word.) It was not snoringly boring (I’m sure Adam was snoring because he was tired, not because the movie sucked) but it wasn’t riveting either. Not being very interested in the subject couldn’t have helped. Eh, one more down. We swapped it out for Sex Drive, which Adam watched Sunday afternoon while I was working my way through my to-do list. I caught bits and pieces of it (bwahahaha, pun intended) while he watched part of the un-edited version - random naked girls would walk into frame, pose, and then walk back off. Odd.

In an effort to not be totally boring, this month we’ve enacted a new “night out” plan. Each month both of us will choose a day and we’ll go out to wherever we want for a meal. This way we can try new restaurants out that we might not try otherwise if we’re choosing together. Our first one for June was last night. It was my pick and I chose Uno Chicago Grill. They were surprisingly un-busy, which was just fine. We sat down and perused the mega drink menu. I ended up getting raspberry lemonade while Adam ordered an Iguana martini. (Despite what he’ll tell you, it does NOT have iguana parts in it.) My drink was pretty good – a little sweet for being lemonade. Adam’s drink was terrible. I mean really bad. He downed it as fast as possible and then was fighting to get the taste out of his mouth for the rest of the night. I told him he should have just had them take it back, but he didn’t listen to me. He then got a mango lemonade, which, while also a little sweet, was still better than the awful Iguana. We ordered the pizza skins as an appetizer. It’s a neat concept – a deep-dish pizza crust with mashed potatoes and baked potato toppings on it. I think we both liked it. For main courses Adam had the steak and shrimp. I had a personal sized deep-dish Chicago Classic pizza (meaning sausage and cheese.) After the appetizer, neither of us finished our meals. I had some leftover pizza for lunch today and there’s still more in the fridge. We also skipped dessert. All in all, a nice place. Their crust is great - not too crunch and thin, but not greasy like a pan pizza. I don’t know that we’d go there again, but I’m glad we tried it. Adam’s night is next week. He says he doesn’t know where we’re going yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martha,
I am one of your relatives and because of what I am going to tell you, I will remain anonymous. I have read your blog on and off for some time. When I want a laugh, I read your blog and just shake my head in disbelief. Much of what you have to say is insignificant and uninteresting and for the life of me, don’t understand why you write such nonsense. No one really cares about your day-to-day doings. You also post pictures of yourself which are very unflattering; actually they are very hideous and ugly. What has happened to you emotionally and intellectually?

Your latest comments about your friends’ wedding are very strange, bizarre and actually indicate you are very jealous to a very disturbing level. You say you are not being judgmental about your friends but you are very naïve to think that when you mention individuals by name, you are not slamming them personally. It does become a personal attack. You are so far off from reality. From relatives I have heard you have very few, if any, friends and I am sure you just lost two more. I would have nothing to do with you if you were not a relative. You are an embarrassment to your family and I cannot believe Adam is happy with your behavior.

I attended your wedding and you are mistaken if you think yours was any better than anyone else’s. You had significant embarrassing occurrences at your wedding. You and Adam were not an attractive couple. The food was adequate at best and I was so embarrassed for you that 75% of the guests left right after dinner and you stopped the music an hour early because so few people were there.

Your comments about picking through the Hersey kisses and selecting certain ones, sitting alone because you possibly smell, and suggesting a brother-sister dance are so immature and low class that I bet you are not even capable of recognizing this. Things like this cast a dark shadow on you and are petty and unflattering. You are right; it is human nature to make comparisons but you should never do it in a public forum unless you purposely want to hurt and humiliate others. Why would you do this? Other than shear jealously, I cannot think of another reason unless you are just totally clueless.

I suspect you don’t even recognize you behavior and how you project an image of low self-esteem. I am sure if your friends have seen your blog, you have destroyed the relationship you had with them. It is hard enough for me to tolerate you but I am family, and in a way, have no choice. This is a sad way to live your life. If you and Adam should have children someday (and I don’t mean more cats), you need to work at being a role model for your children by being a kind, caring, compassionate and loving individual.

With the behavior you demonstrated toward your so-called 'friends', is it any wonder why I sign-off as:

An Anonymous Family Member?

Adam said...

I am not sure who the so called Anonymous Family Member is, but I have to say that whoever you are, grow a pair and at least post your name if you are going to rip apart myself and my wife. I am troubled that you would post such a blatant attack without first sending us an email explaining your point of view so we could have a discussion like adults.

Also, to rant about a blog not being for day-to-day doings, I find this preposterous. A blog as defined by Oxford's dictionary is; "a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, daily happenings, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer to other blogs or outside Web sites." To the truest form of that definition, Martha's blog IS an online journal listing daily happenings that she would like to post. If you do find what she is posting as insignificant and uninteresting, do not read it, it is as simple as that.

Finally as to if Martha and I ever decide to have children, I am positive that we will be great parents with our current beliefs and values.

Anonymous said...

I predicted your response yet I hoped you would take the time to analyze your behavior. I hope someday you will invest time and energy into improving yourselves. You both suffer from narcissism. As Dr. Phil says, "some people get it, some people don't". Unfortunately, you and Martha just don't get it.

Adam said...

I think you are mistaken there, I am pretty sure I do get it. I get that life is adventure, and full of personal opinions. What Martha posted was her opinion of the events that occured, and you countered with your opinion, which turned into a personal attack on both of us.

The one thing that I think you do not get it the we only live life once, and I am positive that Martha and I have made of fair share of mistakes and shared views you may not agree with. Martha also publishes those here in this blog WITH OUR NAME(S) for the world to see as we do not mind the world, including you, casting judgements about us and our mistakes or transgressions. You however choose to hide behind "Anonymous", for what reason, so that the world cannot view and judge who you are if they knew your name?

I am not trying to be, as you say, narcissistic in any way, shape, or form, I am only defending my wife's opinions, which I am sure you would do of your spouse if you are married.