Monday, January 12, 2009

Weekend Shenanigans

Friday night we decided to go to dinner at Applebee’s and use the gift card that Adam got for Christmas. We didn’t repeat the mistake of sitting in the bar this time. Neenah doesn’t have a smoking ban and it can get quite smoky in there. Nothing extraordinary about the meal. Adam had a salad and I had some garlic chicken thing. Their menu seems to get smaller every time we go there. Maybe it’s all in my head… We went home and watched Burn After Reading. I have to admit that I just didn’t get it. Was there a plot? Any point at all to the film? There were a couple “what the &$^#” moments (and the wedge? A purple one even? Fantastic. (Not that I know what that’s about (hi mom!) or anything…ahem)) but other than that it was just mainly a head-scratcher. And I was looking forward to seeing it too. I guess you never know until you watch it.

Saturday was a busy day. We cleaned out litter boxes and I vacuumed the cat room. We did our weekly Walmart/grocery shopping in the morning. We even managed to stay within our weekly budget, which is impressive. I then headed back out to run some errands of my own. I stopped at Petco to pick up some more Nature’s Miracle (which we then saw was WAY cheaper at Fleet Farm so Adam returned it today.) I then got some lunch at Erbert & Gerbert’s using some of the gift certificates I got from Adam for Christmas. Yum. Then it was off to DSW to look for shoes. I didn’t find any dark colored sneakers (that were a price I wanted to pay) but I did find some black dress shoes that I’m more comfortable wearing on a daily basis. What I can I say, I’m in a shoe rut. Next stop was Barnes & Noble (another gift card redemption) for a Glycemic Index cookbook. The cashier made some comment about how she could never follow that kind of diet because she likes meat too much. Mis-information much? My biggest dislike of a low-GI diet is that potatoes (except for baked) are off limits. This sucks and I will probably cheat on that front. Adam paged through the book and marked quite a few recipes, so we’ll see where this goes.

I stopped at Shopko to browse their Payless Shoe section for sneakers as well as their purse section. Like my shoes, my purse is another item that I have a hard time giving up. But when the tape that had been holding one side of the strap on came off a couple weeks ago I decided I should probably start looking for a new one. I checked out the selection at Kohl’s last weekend but couldn’t justify spending $30 (on sale!) for a purse. I’m so cheap. I didn’t find anything I liked at Shopko (shoes or purse) so I went to Walmart on the way home. I found a pair of black and purple sneakers (that Adam laughed at) and a purse for $13. I don’t like the belt buckle design on the front of it, but it will do until my next great search.

I got home, unloaded, and then spent three hours in the office purging the file cabinet. I think the last time I did that was back at the beginning of 2007, so I had quite a few things to shred. I killed the shredder many times. It overheats and I have to give it some time to recover. I finally finished shredding everything yesterday evening. The cats all had a fabulous time playing with file folders and the piles of papers I had lying around. I don’t see the appeal of a stack of paper, but then again I’m not a cat. I made grilled turkey sandwiches for dinner and still couldn’t figure out how to get them crispy and not soggy. Grrr.

Sunday morning Adam vacuumed, I mopped the kitchen, cleaned my bathroom. The afternoon was spent mostly watching football (or in my case, laying on the loveseat trying not to fall asleep.) Adam made rotisserie chicken on the grill for dinner. It turned out great and he just cut the bird in half (and took the wing and leg off my half) and we went to it. Some clean-up in the kitchen and I was ready for bed.

This week is boring with a capital “b”. Hand bell practice was cancelled for tonight so I don’t even have that going on. I’ve got three new recipes on the menu and I hope to update the neglected cooking blog and Flickr photostream. Adam wants to reorganize the kitchen cabinets so that might make it onto my “to-do” list for next weekend.

At work, I’m finally getting around to moving 2007 out of my file cabinets (yes, I do mean 2007. I keep prior year files close by in case I need them.) I even discovered some 2006 stuff still in the back. Argh. I’ve got one last report to complete for 2008 and then I’m all 2009. Hopefully. I’m sure 2008 will come back to haunt me soon enough. I was volunteered to do all the tax books again this year (boo) and I have a feeling a consolidated MHR file will be headed my way at some point as well. Damn this Excel guru title… Is it my fault I can do things four times faster than everyone else? :) It’s all in the pivot tables.

Anyway, I added all the movies currently on the awards list (well, ones I haven’t seen yet) to our Blockbuster queue so we’ll see how quickly I can chip away at that. There are quite a few movies in the theater right now I wouldn’t mind seeing as well, but I doubt that’s something I could bring myself to do on a weeknight. Way too expensive.

That's about it for now. I'm looking forward to a call from the auditor tomorrow. He was supposed to call me today but apparently didn't get around to it. Darn... Ha.

No comments: