Thursday, January 01, 2009

Completely Unoriginal Year-End Recap

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I didn't really do many exciting, daring things this year. I did get summoned for jury duty though. The case was dismissed before we even left the jury holding area, but at least I can say I fulfilled my civic duty.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't know that I ever officially make resolutions. They'd always be the same and I've always failed miserably.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I didn't think so until I found out on Christmas that my cousin, Lori, had a baby in September. Wonderful family communication, don't you think?

4. Did anyone close to you die? Not that I can recall.

5. What countries did you visit? Travel in 2008? Very limited. Our travel this year involved a trip in May to Chicago, a day out at the Mall of America, and a day in Door County.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More money (or less debt, however you want to look at it.)

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Nothing really happened this year, so I have no idea.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I don't know. Not freaking out and quitting my job some days? I'm telling you. It was a boring year.

9. What was your biggest failure? I'm disappointed that we didn't end up being able to pay off the last credit card balance by year's end. That was my original goal and even though I threw it out the window mid-year, it's still a bummer.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing serious. Just your normal "I live in Wisconsin and am perpetually sneezing" kind of thing.

11. What was the best thing you bought? Um. I don't remember making any big ticket purchases. I got a lot of kitchen things for Christmas, but I didn't buy them so I don't think that counts.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I don't have an original answer for this, so let's copy everyone else and say "the American people, for getting out and voting."

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? So many stupid politicians this year, eh? I've never been impressed with anyone who chooses that line of business, but this year was especially disgusting.

14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage, bills. Absolutely nothing fun, I'm sure.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? I don't think I get that excited about anything (three "really"s is a lot...) and this year was, as I've said, BORING, so no excitement for me.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? That stupid Flo Rider "Low" song. It freakin' followed me around for MONTHS. Just ask Adam. Every time we got in the car that's the song that was on the radio.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? About the same , really. b) thinner or fatter? fatter. Boo. c) richer or poorer? About the same here as well. Also boo.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Anything. We did pretty much nothing all year. We're so boring.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? I'd say "spending money" but most of the big hits were unavoidable. When your water heater dies, you kind of have to replace it.

20. How did you spend Christmas? We went to Falls to have lunch with my dad, Cheryl, Catherine, and others from Cheryl's family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Not with anyone new, unless you count a cat.

22. What was your favorite TV program? I've become hooked on NCIS. How is it that I never knew this existed before? It's like Law & Order, CSI, and JAG combined. Awesome.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, I hate all the same people. Ha.

24. What was the best book you read? Honestly, I don't remember reading anything new this year. How sad is that?

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Also don't know that I discovered any new artists this year. Still like the same stuff. David Archuleta is pretty good though.

26. What did you want and get? My wish list is pretty much always the same: kitchen stuff and books. With Linen's N Things going under, I was able to get a lot of kitchen stuff for Christmas.

27. What did you want and not get? Nothing.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? I watched a lot of movies early on with my Oscar challenge but then things really fell off the second part of the year. I don't remember one particular movie that stood out. Dark Knight was pretty good.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? This year I turned 26. Adam was in California the days before my birthday and he flew back the morning of. We went out to dinner.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? No lingering credit card debt (and, related to that, getting paid what I think I should be given the amount of additional work I've taken on. But I get the feeling that's a pipe dream.)

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? I don't have one. I wear what fits. That's all.

32. What kept you sane? All this assuming I'm sane thing again.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I'm not sure who my celebrity crush is right now. I'm kind of disconnected from that, despite how much E! I watch.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? I hate politics, but the whole Sarah Palin thing freaked me out.

35. Who did you miss? No one in particular. Most people are a phone call (or email) away.

36. Who was the best new person you met? I don't know that I met anyone new. Apparently no one who made an impression anyway.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. The year was too boring to produce a life lesson. Maybe that's one - don't be so boring you learn nothing for a whole year.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Sit around and watch the tube but nothing's on, change the channels for an hour or two - Green Day, "Longview"

No comments: