Thursday, January 08, 2009

On Wearing Heels...

I recently got a new pair of shoes. OK, so really I bought the shoes months ago and just started wearing them this week. I have a problem letting go of comfy, yet on the edge of shabby, shoes. This time I took them off, put them in the trash, and then cleaned out the fridge - just in case I had the urge to take them out and wear them again. Ha ha! I so control me.

Anyway, the new pair of shoes is different from what I generally wear. First off, the heel is a good two inches taller than my last pair. This alone causes all kinds of new issues. There’s something to be said for people who can walk normally (or run, or crime-fight) while wearing heels. Putting on shoes with a heel over an inch and a half shifts your center of gravity. Your posture changes, you walk differently. I cannot walk normally in heels. I am suddenly very conscious of my butt. I can’t explain it.

Secondly, these shoes are very noisy. Not because I’m stomping around in them (although I admit I could probably be lighter on my feet) but because the heels clop. I am also very conscious of the noise I make while walking around the office. I can no longer sneak up on anyone. While good for avoiding bathroom door crashes by letting those coming out know that I’m coming in, this noisiness hinders my ability to drop things off in peoples’ inboxes and run away before they can ask about them. (Not that I ever do that.) (But if I wanted to, now I couldn’t.)

I’m not sure I like these new shoes yet. I haven’t even attempted to wear them outside since it’s been snowy and icy all week. I have been planning to go shoe shopping to find a dark sneaker so I might keep an eye out for a black dress shoe with a less noticeable heel. We’ll see.

No comments: