Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Three cats and a wedding

Adam had a coupon for an afternoon off that he had to use so I also took Friday afternoon off. We went out to lunch and then did some shopping. Mostly pet stuff shopping. We got two new litter boxes. The ones we had were almost a year old and were starting to show their age. Ted and Conner like to dig around and their claws were scratching the bottom. Also, cat pee must be very acidic and was actually burning into the bottom a little. Neat, but kind of scary. So we replaced them. With all the hamsters gone now we also did our room re-arrangement. We’re not so concerned about a cat versus guinea pig death match since the guinea pigs are much bigger than Howie was and their cages are more secure. The third bedroom is noticeably smaller than the second bedroom. It’s a squeeze, but we got everything to fit. Then we cut Mo’s unruly hair (which he thoroughly disliked), cleaned their cages, and vacuumed.

On Saturday we did the rest of the shopping. We also stopped at Kohl’s during their early bird small appliances sale to pick up Adam’s grandmother’s apartment-warming gift. (As an aside, why is it an “early bird sale” when it goes until 1pm? That’s not early in my opinion…) Anyway, we then drove up to De Pere to drop off said gift. His grandmother seems really happy in her new apartment. She’s definitely not a wallflower and appears to have made lots of new friends in the short time she’s been there. She took us out to lunch at a restaurant right down the street. Terrible service, but otherwise a nice place. We came back home and watched Chicago on the new TV with the new surround sound system. Not too shabby.

Sunday morning Adam headed up to Appleton to get new gutter covers. The tree in front of the house had been dropping all kinds of tiny flower things all over the roof and they’d been able to sneak through the old gutter covers and clog up the gutter. The swap out seemed to go pretty quickly. We’ll see if this new version works better. I baked some brownies, a co-worker of Adam’s having given me a Ghirardelli brownie kit. The caramel chocolates had melted a little in transit, but they still turned out pretty well. Very rich. We killed some time by watching She’s the Man. I went and swapped out Chicago for Penelope in case I got bored during the Packer game and wanted something else to watch. Mark and Pat, Adam’s co-worker and friend, came to watch the game. I managed to stay and watch the whole three quarters they were here. It’s easier to watch the game when someone else is yelling at the TV with you. Adam is so stoic in his TV viewing. I feel stupid talking to the TV. But it’s ok when two other people are doing it too. :) They left after the third quarter and we turned it off before the fourth was over. Not a good game. But at least it wasn’t Aaron Rodgers’ fault.

We got a last minute invite to Adam’s cousin Amy’s wedding. Apparently our invitation “got lost.” (Ahem.) We’re not going to go – it’s in Kenosha on Saturday – but we’ll send a card along with his parents. She didn’t come to our wedding either and although it might be fun to meet a few more people in his extended family, I’d rather not spend four hours (round trip) in the car and have to find something to wear to a wedding. Although it does sound like it’s going to be a big party. Hmm.

Not much else going on this week. I think I’ve decided what I’m going to do about my hair situation though. Heads of Time (the place we went for wedding day hair) has a $30 cut & style where they do a consultation prior to the choppage. This might be a good option because then I can get the professional’s opinion on what might work best. I’ll be paying a little more than my standard $12.95 Cost Cutters amount (yay for coupons!) but I think it will work out better for me this way. Now I just need to call for an appointment. Ugh. I’m still unsure of what style I want, but I guess I’ll just see what they come up with. It can always grow back if it turns out really horrible.

No comments: