Friday, September 19, 2008

RIP Howie



At the beginning of this week, seemingly out of the blue, I discovered Howie had a humongously puffy eye. It was huge. I figured perhaps he had gotten some bedding stuck and it had gotten infected. As advised by some internet sources, Adam used eye drops and tried to clean it out and get rid of as much of the crap inside of it as possible. The swelling went down considerably, although he still couldn't really open the eye at all.

Yesterday morning I refilled his food bowl. He was sitting under his water bottle, chewing on a hamster food cheerio. I patted his head, thereby scaring him. As I closed the door for the day he hopped into his food bowl to scrounge around. I considered checking on him at lunch but didn't. When I went in the room to feed Conner after work Howie had found his way back into his house and expired.

So, again, not completely unexpected. But he had been acting pretty normal all week so we thought maybe he'd pull through. He was the first of our stable crew of critters. Now we've just got the two guinea pigs. That's kind of nice because now we can move the cats into their room and keep all the pet stuff in one spot. That's our weekend project.

No comments: