Friday, September 21, 2007

Movie Commentary

I saw a couple movies recently, one of which got me closer to my Oscar Challenge completion. I just may get to them all before next year’s nominations come out.

Anyway, we went and saw The Nanny Diaries in the theater a few weekends ago using a gift card we got as a wedding gift. (Yay.) The movie itself wasn’t that impressive and although I really like Scarlett Johanssen, I’m not sure I liked this movie. It was kind of boring and pointless. Sure, there are a few fairly good laugh moments but that’s about it. Yes, there is a subset of people out there who this movie is about. I don’t know any of them. I’m not one of them. I can’t relate. That’s about it.

The second film was Children of Men. I watched this one alone one night a couple weeks ago when Adam was watching wrestling (or Ultimate Fighting, which I’m told is NOT WRESTLING as they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.) This movie was like Blood Diamond in that it was a whole lot of fighting. It was unlike Blood Diamond in that I was able to watch the whole thing. It might have helped that it had a distopic, futuristic plot, and we all know how much I enjoy those. I’m not a fan of Clive Owen (he’s kind of funny-looking and that distracts me) but it was an ok film. Plot twists, who’s the good guy? issues, and the quest to save the human race. Good, clean, movie-based fun. I probably wouldn’t watch it again because it just didn’t interest me that much. But at least I got through it once which is more than I can say for some other movies.

No comments: