Friday, January 27, 2006

Football

I was amused by a post Jodi had on her blog the other day about the Seahawks and the excitement that goes along with a winning football team. Living where I do for my whole life, this kind of thing is part of day-to-day life. I’m not sure there’s any kind of study out there, but I’m pretty sure Packer fans are the most loyal football fans out there. Even with a season like the most recent one (ie. sucky to the nth degree), the stadium sells out and people are psyched on game day. A hush falls over the entire region on Sundays between noon and three on days when there’s a game. I didn’t like working on Sunday mornings because there was always this horrible rush of crazy people around 11, picking up all kinds of junk for their Packer parties. This being so engrained in my life growing up, it seems weird to me when I see games with stands half empty. It seems odd that people wouldn’t care how their team is doing. Now, I’m not a Packer fan. I think it’s pretty well known that I root for the team on the other side of the river – the Vikings. But people in this area (and Packer fans all over the country) are so dedicated to this team. This is how it is when they suck and are losing. Now, back in 1996 and 1997 when they actually had some game, imagine how crazy it got. When they won division it got worse. When they won the Super Bowl… geesh… Rabid fans only get worse when they actually have something to drink to. They say there’s some connection between the Packers losing and incidences of domestic violence. While I can’t attest to this fact, it wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve only been to Lambeau field a few times – always during the week – mostly to go to Curly’s (the restaurant there) or the pro-shop with Adam. I can’t even imagine what it would be like on a game day…

Anyway, I guess my point was that I was amused by the apparently short-lived phenomenon that occurs in other places when it seems like an on-going thing here.

No comments: