Monday, October 05, 2009

Fall TV Thoughts

These are the shows the DVR tells me I'm recording right now (in alphabetical order!):

1. 18 Kids and Counting
It's a guilty pleasure. Adam even watches it with me sometimes. I'm fascinated by how they manage to maintain some sense of order in the zoo their household must be.

2. Community
Being the closet E! junkie that I am, I adore Joel McHale. So I was pumped when I saw he was getting an actual TV show. I have not been disappointed. There has been at least one really great zinger of a line in each episode so far.

3. Glee
Kind of touched on this in the previous post. I think it's very cool that someone created a show with so much genuine talent on board. That said, I'm not sure I really care much about the different plotlines. I'd rather just watch them dance around and sing for an hour.

4. Hannah Montana
Yes, I know I'm not exactly the target demographic. But people. Hannah Montana is a lot like Lizzie McGuire or Spongebob. There's an adult level to the humor. Really. There is.

5. Law & Order
20 years on and I'm still watching it. We'll see what kind of cases they can get themselves tangled up in this season. I knew pretty early on that we wouldn't hear a verdict in the torture case they opened up with. Hopefully the upcoming episodes have more finality.

6. Law & Order: Criminal Intent
This show isn't currently running new episodes. With all the cast shake-ups, I'll have to see if I keep watching this one. Adam likes it, but it's always been my least favorite. They've totally changed it from its original premise.

7. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Whereas CI is my least favorite, this is my favorite L&O. I'm incredibly happy they booted that awful actress who took over for Alex Cabot, but now they've added some bad Sophia Loren impersonator who has overdosed on bitch pills. Bring back Alex!

8. NCIS
We recorded the first episode of the Los Angeles version and thought it was so dumb we erased the series. The original is the best. Hopefully they can get past the leftover drama from last season and get back to classic NCIS case solving.

9. Project Runway
The move to Lifetime doesn't seem to have changed the show at all, except for the model drama being moved to a separate show (that we don't watch.) So far I haven't been surprised or dismayed by any of the eliminations. My money is on Althea or Carol Hannah.

10. Raising the Bar
Another show not currently running new episodes. I just can't get enough of court-room dramas. I'm finding The Good Wife to be a lot like this one.

11. Saturday Night Live
The season opener with Megan Fox was disppointing. Ryan Reynolds was significantly better, but still not great. And Lady Gaga? She's just weird. I maintain that Justin Timberlake has been the best SNL host/guest in recent times. He always manages to do something totally nuts, but it works.

12. The Good Wife
I'm really enjoying this new show. I wasn't sure the premise would work, but the whole "sex scandal husband" is kind of a background drone rather than the focus. More court-room drama. And Josh Charles. I love Josh Charles.

13. The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien
When Conan came back on we stopped recording Jimmy Fallon. Sorry, Jimmy, but I'm just a dedicated Conan fan and I don't have time to watch you both! There have been some bombs but mostly I'm happy with the new show. I wish they'd keep the "Year 2000" bits with guests instead of always with Andy, but I suppose they need some reason for him to have come back.

No comments: