Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My life in a word - wedding

Still not much is happening around here. I’m slowly plugging away through my wedding to-do list. The fact that there are still plenty of RSVPs lingering out in limbo puts a cramp in my table assignment/place card completion but there’s not much I can do about that. I guess I need to determine a final cut-off date for responses. We don’t have to give the reception hall the final headcount until three days before the wedding but I’d like a little more time to get things prepped. Right now we’re up to 59 (plus 4 babies!) Not exactly the turnout we were hoping for, but we have to take what we can get. There are 20 or so more out in no-man’s land so perhaps the number will increase some more in the next couple weeks. Who knows? Not me, as most of the outstanding replies are from Adam’s side. :)

On the administrative side of things, we plan to go down to the courthouse in Oshkosh on the 7th to apply for our marriage license. Winnebago County is pretty basic – birth certificate, SS#, verification of residency. No blood tests or anything else weird. But it does cost $95. That seems a little steep to me for a piece of paper, but whatever. We can’t get married without it so they’ve got us.

Luckily there are not too many blank lines left in the budget at this point. Anticipated additional costs include the final payment to the photographer, disposable cameras for the reception, the reception dinner costs (less our deposit, and will actually be paid after the wedding), and some of my costs – alterations, hair & nails, bridesmaids luncheon. We’ll also have the additional honeymoon costs to take care of afterwards (excursions, other money spent on food, drinks, souvenirs, etc.) But that should be it. All the gifts, favors, apparel, etc are taken care of and paid for. I think we could have pulled this wedding off without going into debt with no problem at all. And I guess we did. It’s not the wedding that caused the credit card balances to spike – it was the house. That makes me feel pretty good about the whole deal. Afterwards I plan to have a post detailing our final budget. Right now (if all the outstanding amounts come close to my estimates) we will have done the whole shebang (including rings and honeymoon) for under $15,000. Exclude those two big hitters and we’d be at just under $9,000. Cruising is not cheap.

Anyway, this next week is pretty dull – my calendar is actually totally blank – but after August 1st the craziness starts. I look at my list regularly to make sure I’m not missing something totally obvious. It seems like I should be freaking out more or have more to do but I’m not seeing anything glare up at me saying “get me done!” I guess this is a good sign indicating that we were as proactive as we hoped to be. It’s still kind of scary to think that in three weeks we’ll see if all this work and money has been worth it. I’m hoping everything goes smoothly and everyone has a good time. I’m doing my best to not be too controlling about things and I’m definitely trying to avoid any Bridezilla moments. I do get tired of the “wedding experts” constantly giving unsolicited advice but I suppose this happens with anything like this. And can I just say right now that I can’t wait for the baby bingoeing to start…

On a non-wedding related note, I find it disturbing that Bush’s colonoscopy was headline news. Scott Adams had a great blog post on that subject the other day – check it out.

No comments: