Friday, July 27, 2007

Defeat... (Or, should I say, De-feet)

I'm having somewhat of a shoe crisis. It’s pretty much a crisis of my own making. I’ve been procrastinating about picking out shoes for the Catherines for about six months. So when Catherine W. brought up the fact that seasons are changing and fall shoes are starting to appear on the shelves I agreed with her suggestion to get my butt into gear. So I headed out to the shoe stores I love last Saturday.

I don’t love them so much anymore.

I started at Shoe Carnival only to discover that the store is going out of business. This means that there’s pretty much nothing left and even if I did find what I wanted the chances that I’d find the sizes I need are slim. Grrr.

So I went to DSW. They also seemed to be in a transition of some kind. It could be that dreaded season change or something else but their selection was lacking and there were rows of empty shelves. And lots of clearance racks. Not good.

After these defeats (ha) I didn’t have the motivation (or the desire) to go to the mall to check out Payless. I peeked in at the shoe department at Wal*mart later on in the day when I went to visit Adam and I saw what could be a prospect.

When I got home I went online to Target’s website and found a shoe that I really liked. I couldn’t find it at the store though and when I went to order it online on Wednesday I discovered why – it’s not even going to be released (to stores or online) for another six weeks. The wedding is in three. Drat.

So Wednesday night Adam and I were hunting high and low on various websites for silver strappy sandals with a wide, low-ish heel. I kept coming back to Kenneth Cole Unlisted styles. I had seen them previously at DSW and they showed up on eBay, Amazon, and a few other such sites. We watched an eBay auction for the correct sizes last night and got outbid at the last second. Grrr. And it turns out the style I like is a discontinued design. I just have all the luck…

So for now here are my choices: Tonight I’ll go back to Wal*mart and see if I really like the shoes I saw. I’m going for cheap and easy here since I don’t anticipate either Catherine will really ever wear them again. Wal*mart would definitely qualify as cheap and easy. Second option is to go to Payless, see if they have anything, and if not just go with the generic bridesmaids shoes they carry. I suppose a third option is to just let them choose their own shoes and not worry about it. I’m less likely to go with that last one though because the dresses are pretty short and people will see their legs and feet. And I’d like some consistency. And I'm a control freak.

This is pretty much the last decision I have to make and I’m totally dragging my feet. Wait… I still have to decide what I’m doing with my hair… Anyway, hopefully the shoe thing will be resolved by tonight.

No comments: