Monday, January 18, 2010

Golden Globe Review

So awards season is here. I spent most of last evening watching the Golden Globes. Adam was...under the weather, so I had no shame and watched the pre-Red Carpet as well as the Live from the Red Carpet on E! Ok, so I was reading a book with it on in the background. I glanced up occasionally when I heard something interesting. I thought that it was rude that they cut off Lea Michelle from "Glee" to go to Sandra Bullock. Also, Guiliana whatever your last name is now (seriously, she has a new one every time I see her...) you are an idiot. You've been working for E! for how long now and you're still yelling out "George!" to get Clooney's attention? Sad.

Anyway. The actual ceremony was kind of boring. I don't like Ricky Gervais so I was ok with the fact that he was on screen for maybe 10 minutes total. He didn't really even have any good jokes aside from the jab at Mel Gibson about the beer. Before the show I printed out the nominations and made my predictions.

Best Picture - Drama: I chose Avatar, I was right!

Best Actress - Drama: I chose Sandra, I was right!

Best Actor - Drama: I chose George, I was wrong. I knew Jeff Bridges had a good chance, but I went with the more mainstream choice.

Best Picture - Comedy/Musical: I chose Julie & Julia, I was wrong. Seriously people, I don't get the hype over The Hangover. Go to Blockbuster, rent Dude, Where's My Car?, come back here and try to tell me that there isn't some kind of rip-offage going on here. Llamas! (Yes, I've watched that movie way too many times.)

Best Actress - Comedy/Musical: I chose Meryl Streep, I was right! Considering she was two of the five...pretty good odds there.

Best Actor - Comedy/Musical: I chose Daniel Day-Lewis, I was wrong. He's usually an awards favorite, but I guess Robert Downey Jr. probably gave a better speech than Daniel would have.

Best Animated Film: I chose Up, I was right! Funniest intro of the night - Paul McCartney: Animation isn't just for kids, it's also for adults on drugs. Bwahahaha.

Best Foreign Language: While I didn't officially make a guess here (I usually ignore this category), I figured war movies usually do pretty well so I figured Germany would win - and they did.

Best Supporting Actress: I chose Mo'Nique and I was right! Secretly glad Penelope Cruz didn't win because I CANNOT STAND HER ACCENT!

Best Supporting Actor: I chose Stanley Tucci, but I was wrong. I guess Inglourious Basterds needed to win at least one...

Best Director: I chose James Cameron and I was right! Is James Cameron really that big of a dork though? "I have to pee?" Have some dignity!

Best Screenplay: I chose Inglourious Basterds. I was wrong. I really thought Quentin Tarantino would do better than he did last night. I haven't seen Up in the Air yet so I have to reserve judgement.

Best Score: I chose Up and I was right!

Best Song: I had no idea since I haven't seen any of the movies yet, so I just went with U2. I was wrong. T Bone? Dude was white...

Best TV Drama: I chose "Dexter", I was wrong. "Mad Men"? - I just don't get it. And Jon Hamm is hosting SNL again? He wasn't that good the first time...

Best Actress, TV Drama: I chose Juliana Marguiles and I was right! I'm absolutely loving "The Good Wife."

Best Actor, TV Drama: I chose Michael C Hall and I was right! Never watch any of the shows, but I was just glad Bill Paxton didn't win. I don't like him... Him and Bill Murray. There's something about their voices and their line delivery that bugs me...

Best TV Comedy/Musical: I chose Glee and I was right!

Best Actress, TV Comedy/Musical: I chose Toni Collette and I was right! I don't watch the show (although I'm considering it) but I knew Lea Michelle was a long shot.

Best Actor, TV Comedy/Musical: I chose Steve Carell, I was wrong. Alec Baldwin was the only winner who wasn't there. "Previously scheduled charity event." Likely...

Best Mini-Series/TV Movie and corresponding best actor/actress: I had no idea - never even heard of any of them. But what was up with Drew's dress?

Best Supporting Actress, TV: I chose Jane Lynch but I was wrong. Chloe Sevigny? I don't get that either. And what an awful dress. There were a lot of one shoulder, ruffly-looking things, but hers was just ugly.

Best Supporting Actor, TV: I chose Neil Patrick Harris but I was wrong. I like John Lithgow and am just glad Jeremy Piven didn't win. Another guy who seems like a schmuck.

So, overall, 11 right, 9 wrong, 5 non-guesses. Good thing I didn't put any money on any of them!

The ceremony actually ended a few minutes early and the pace was good. Not many people got played off the stage, no one really stands out as having rambled. I wasn't in the room for the Martin Scorsese thing and I've read that he went off a little. What I mostly noticed was how inconvenient it seemed to be to get from your seat to the stage when you won. I think I commented on that last year as well. Who sets up the room? It's like a cruel maze. Also, they kept using these weird camera angles looking up from the edge of the stage at the person at the microphone. Not sure what was up with that.

Looking forward to Oscar nominations in a few weeks. Doing pretty well on my list over on the right there as well. Right now I've got District 9 on the coffee table, waiting.

No comments: