Tuesday, September 22, 2009

8 Sights

I saw this article on MSNBC’s travel section.

Here are the 8 sights every American should see:

1. Sears Tower (now known as Willis Tower)
I’m pretty sure I’ve been there at some point. Quite awhile ago – perhaps while on a school trip? I really don’t remember. All tall buildings are pretty much the same. Give me the Eiffel Tower anyday.

2. Gettysburg
Been here too, on that same 1996 trip I was telling you about a little bit ago. I wasn’t that interested. I think we took a bus tour, but really, it’s fields, markers. I’m not a big war history fan so perhaps the deeper grandeur was wasted on me.

3. Pearl Harbor
Haven’t been here. Although, if I were taking a trip to Hawaii I’m not sure I’d include this stop in my itinerary anyway. Once again, not such a war history fan.

4. New York Harbor/Ellis Island
Haven’t been to NYC at all. We’ll see if my first planned foray there next May pans out.

5. Monticello
Yep, been there. It’s a lovely place.

6. Yellowstone
I’d love to go here – make it a monster trip and throw in the Grand Canyon on the way. I just tend to gravitate eastward when trip planning.

7. Graceland
Hmm. This one seems a little out of place. I don’t know that I’d be interested in going here. It’s probably ridiculously touristy and some Elvis fans are kooky. And I can only imagine how many impersonators there are…

8. Ebenezer Baptist Church (MLK Jr)
Not sure I’d make a trip here. It’s a church. I understand the importance in civil rights history, but I’m not totally convinced. I’d much rather go see Notre Dame in Paris or the cathedral in Chartres.


Places I’d add:
The Grand Canyon
Mount Rushmore (really, how did this not make the list?)
The Badlands
Mitchell Corn Palace (it’s so cool!)
Niagara Falls
Mammoth Caves in Kentucky
Pike’s Market in Seattle
Denali National Park

I'm sure I'm missing some obvious ones - what places in the US do you think everyone should be sure to see?

No comments: