Thursday, July 17, 2008

Garages and Movies and Ducks (oh my!)

So the whole garage door thing has been figured out. Best Adam and his dad can tell, the previous door’s opener was installed too high. This caused the track to bounce and buckle when the door was closing, somehow tripping it to go back up. In any case, some sawing, banging, and bolting later, the opener is moved and the door works fine. It’s so much quieter than the other door! And I no longer fear being crushed by a collapsing garage door on my way out in the morning. Ah, peace of mind. I believe the plans for the old door involve the local junkyard. Apparently these outdated wood version doors aren’t accepted by second-hand/community outreach stores. So sometime this week(end) Adam will take a trip there to dispose of the door. And the armchair that stinks like cat pee. Finally.

I watched yet another Oscar movie Tuesday night. This one was August Rush. I had no idea what it was about and the blurb on the sleeve from Blockbuster Total Access was generally unhelpful. It was an interesting story: kind of a mix of Oliver, A Beautiful Mind, and Once. With some Mr Holland's Opus thrown in for good measure. I was somewhat distracted by weird directorial choices (especially the constant filming directly into lights and then having something (an arm, a head) block the light for a few seconds and then move again. Argh!) but overall it was lovely. I won’t comment on the horrible fake cello playing. Or guitar playing. Or organ playing. Or piano playing. Anyway, the end is sappy, totally predictable, but makes you retain hope that the world isn’t completely messed up. Yay. So, down to six Oscar movies on the list: 3:10 to Yuma (ugh), Across the Universe (hopefully not as horrible as I am Me), The Assassination of Jesse James (ugh #2), Atonement (Kiera Knightly = so annoying!), Into the Wild (this might actually be good), La Vie en Rose (probably would have watched this eventually regardless.) So yeah, mixed bag.

Tuesday morning while I was in the bathroom combing my hair Adam yelled for me to come look at something. I went into the living room and he pointed out an egg that was laying in an indentation under the bush by the window. He asked me what kind of egg it was. I asked him why he thought I’d know. He stated he didn’t think it was big enough to be a rabbit egg. I informed him that rabbits don’t lay eggs. Oh yeah. I went back to the bathroom to finish getting ready. As I did my final sweep, checking on all the animals before I left for work, I discovered the source of the egg.



There was a duck standing in the middle of the yard. She walked toward the egg, sat on it, flipped it over, and then walked away again. From the other angle provided in the living room we could see the male behind a tree.



Ah, l’amour. When I came home from work, the egg had been partially buried and there were no parents in sight.



There are now three eggs in the nest though so apparently they're doing something. They returned for a bit that night but they were gone again in the morning. Strange behavior in my eyes, but I’m not a duck. Maybe that’s how they do it. We’ll keep an eye out for them and wait for the baby ducks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

UPDATE As of this morning, there are now 6 eggs in the nest.