Monday, July 14, 2008

Ack, expensive weekend!

Adam got a VISA gift card as part of his bonus from work for being “Top Performer” for the quarter and he decided we should just use that for this week’s spending rather than pulling cash from the checking account. Works for me! So Friday night we did our grocery shopping. Not too bad there. No meat purchases to kick up the total, and the major category was dairy products: cheese, milk, eggs, etc. Yay inflation. Saturday morning Adam went in to work for a little bit. I watched another Oscar film (The Kite Runner – pretty good. Only 7 more to go!) and then went and got my hair cut. We decided to go see Get Smart (hilarious) and stopped to check some pricing for an external hard drive (for me) and some RAM (for Adam. Well, kind of. I stole some of his) on the way. (We ended up ordering them online.) We stopped up at Simon’s for some cheese before heading home. I baked some Snickerdoodles and S’more muffins. Adam grilled up some chicken for dinner.

Sunday morning we stopped by his parents’ house to drop off an extra paint tray (they were helping Chris and Katie do some interior decoration.) We then headed over to Menards to purchase a new garage door and accoutrements. One more stop at Walmart and we went back home. I did some cleaning and Adam made pretzels. He had just taken them out of the oven when his dad called, ready to help pick up and install the new garage door. That took them pretty much the rest of the day. And it’s not done yet – it mysteriously reverses itself and opens when it gets about halfway down. Gah. I spent much of the afternoon and evening watching the L&O:SVU marathon on USA. And being attacked by cats. I made Cheeseburger Buns and Onion Flowers for dinner.

Adam had started to get a cold on Sunday morning and it just got worse with him not eating and working all afternoon in a stuffy garage. So this morning he stayed home from work. I, on the other hand, got up and spent my Monday morning being poked and prodded during my annual doctor’s visit. I resisted as long as I could (ie, my prescription runs out this month) but they wouldn’t let me get away with getting a refill without coming in for an exam. Grr. Although the nurse said that if they didn’t require me to come in I probably wouldn’t. She’s right… She had trouble finding my blood pressure (not sure how that works, but she said it was really quiet?) and had to try three times. For the third year in a row I had a different person examine me. This time it was a PA and there were no babies to interrupt the proceedings. She sounded Russian, and was a nice enough person. She did give me a hard time about getting a tetanus shot. I know I’m completely overdue, (it’s been probably 14 years) but I hate shots. Eventually I’ll have to do it. We’ve got (required) biometric testing here at work in September so maybe they’ll do it then. *sigh* Other than that, it went well. Done for another year. Woo. Now I’ve just got to work up the motivation to find a dentist. I’ve been putting that off for over three years. I’m afraid they’ll try and pull out my wisdom teeth.

Anyway, nothing planned for this week. No meetings, no appointments. We’ve got a movie sitting at home waiting to be watched (Last Request) and some new recipes waiting to be made. I’m going to try and do some quality snuggling with the guinea pigs since I’m afraid I might be neglecting them a little. The cats take up more time and are more accessible so it seems like the rodents get second best attention. I’d also like to get a video of Howie going nuts on his chewing log. We’ll see how that goes.

No comments: