Thursday, October 11, 2007

Movie Reviews

I’m sucking over at Rotten Tomatoes and maybe I’ll start up again there eventually. But for now I’ll just post a couple more movies I saw recently.

Little Children came in the mailbox thanks to our Blockbuster Total Access subscription. This is a movie from the Oscar list that I actually wanted to see so I was excited. It was a pretty good movie. I liked most of the main actors and the plot was interesting. It reminded me of a lot of other films while I was watching it though. Like when Patrick Wilson’s character was in the truck with the crazed ex-cop and he said something about castrating the released sex offender all I could think of was Hard Candy. (If you haven’t see that movie, I’d recommend it, but with a warning that it’s pretty messed up and disturbing.) Anywho, an enjoyable movie with a not-too-complex plot. And Kate Winslet gets naked again. Just saying…

Second movie for the weekend was The Last Time. I had run into this while browsing the New Release Wall on Hollywoodvideo.com. It looked interested and I liked the people in it. It was nothing like I had expected. But it was still a good movie. Reminded me of a combination of Derailed, In Good Company, and a John Irving novel. Michael Keaton is a top sales person for some generic tech company, despised by everyone. When Brendan Fraser’s character arrives, fresh and naïve from Ohio, Michael is pegged to teach him the ropes. Things get messy when Brendan’s fiancée takes up an affair with Michael. But there’s a twist and it’s like many other movies wherein after it’s over you want to go back and watch it all again because nothing is what you thought it was. Good movie, and unexpectedly dark.

No comments: