Friday, August 19, 2005

*Applause*

Don't ask me about that title. I'm not very creative so now I've decided to just use random words instead of anything that makes sense... Just go with it...

So, a few interesting things have developed over the last few weeks.

Firstly, during a discussion at work about whether to send me out to Lebanon (PA) for a week, it occurred to me that I have almost two weeks of vacation that I need to use before the end of the year. I decided to see if I could swing a trip to New York since I know my mom has been bugging me to come out there since she moved, uhm, three years ago now? Things seem to be going well in the planning phase. As it stands, I should be spending a week(ish) in upstate New York the third week of September. Adam will be coming with me. We’ll be driving since the whole rental car thing is just a complete rip off if you’re not 25. So far the plans include Niagara Falls, Buffalo (including a dinner out with my sister and mother to celebrate her (my mom’s) birthday), possibly one of the various state parks, and anything else that tickles our fancies. We’ll see how it goes. It should be an interesting time. My mom has already threatened Adam with the old photo albums. I think she was kidding…but I’m not sure. It will be a good opportunity for him to meet my mom and sister before next May when everyone else (I assume) will be there and the dynamic will be much different.

Apartment-wise, we had the meeting with the new landlord people last week and sat down and signed a bunch of paperwork including the lease. The person didn’t seem to know what she was doing which was kind of concerning, but Adam told me she was new so she probably didn’t know exactly how it all worked. Great… I’m also concerned about the timing of this whole deal. Our lease starts October 1st, and unlike Brookside, they don’t have a one month lead time. The people who are in the apartment now could theoretically move out on September 30th. Since my current lease is up on the 30th, this could cause some problems. I was re-reading my lease last night and apparently I have to be out of the apartment and have the keys returned to the office by noon on the 30th. This means I have to have all my stuff out and have the whole place cleaned by that time. Wow. Now if the people in our new apartment don’t leave until the 30th, you can imagine the dilemma. The management is supposed to be checking with the current occupants to see what their plans are, but they haven’t gotten back to us yet. This could be one stressful move…At least it’s a much better apartment though, right? Heh.

Ok, so there were only two interesting things. Other than that, it’s been life as usual. I’ve been cleaning a lot lately, getting rid of all kinds of crap that I don’t need. I figure that way I won’t have to move it with me. I’ve gone through my four+ years of Cosmo magazines, re-reading them all before I throw them out. It’s remarkably repetitive. I mean, how many ways can there be to please a man? I only need one or two and I’m good… LoL. I probably won’t renew it when the subscription ends at the end of this year. I guess that’s just something you grow out of eventually. I was never a diehard Cosmo girl type anyway. I just read it because it amused me. I prefer Maxim any day though.

I also had a great time cleaning out my medicine cabinet. I found some iron tablets that expired in 2002. Oops. Guess I forgot to take them, eh? I’ve been procrastinating on cleaning the closet in the bathroom. There’s all kinds of crap in there I never use. All kinds of hair crap. In my attempt to tame my unmanageable mane (see, I’ve been reading too much Cosmo), I acquired a myriad of frizz-reducing, hair-controlling sprays, balms, and other such products. I used each one once and determined that it didn’t work worth a damn and threw it in the closet, never to see the light of day again. So I get to go through all that crap and throw it all out. Fun. See why I’m putting it off? I did clean out the closet in the dining room though. I’ve got a lot of bedding I no longer need (twin size sheets? I don’t think so.) I’ll be keeping my full size bed (it will be in the second bedroom) and we’ll be getting a queen, so the twin and king size sheets I have are not of any use to me. Away to Goodwill they go. I’ve given so much stuff to that place in the last few months…

I’ve been lying around watching too many bad movies lately also. Wal-Mart had this whole bin of movies that were $5 and I totally over-indulged in them. I must say that Earth Girls are Easy is quite possibly the worst film ever. It’s one of those “it’s so bad, it’s good” deals. It’s got tons of cheesy song and dance numbers (including the ever popular “’Cause I’m a blonde (yeah, yeah, yeah…)”), a really stupid plot, and some pretty bad acting. Jeff Goldblum was a totally hot alien though… It was completely irresistible. As was To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar. There really is nothing like Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John Leguizamo in drag. I had the great fortune to find A Simple Twist of Fate, a movie I’d been trying to find for a few years now. I suppose I could have broken down and bought it online, but then I would have missed out on my “Oh my god, I found it!” shriek to which most of Wal-Mart was treated. There were a few others that I bought as well, but they didn’t inspire such glee. I’m a member of the Columbia House DVD club, but I’ve really been slacking in buying my 5 or whatever DVDs I have to buy in order to fulfill my contract. They just don’t have the best selection. Oh well. I’m sure I’ll find something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me assure you, mom was not kidding about the photo albums. :)