Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Photographic Memory: Coupe du Monde

With all the hullabaloo about the World Cup lately, I thought I'd take a moment to remember my own brush with the event back in 1998.



I was in France for the month of June, when the Coupe du Monde began. We were actually on the airplane from Amsterdam with part of the Scottish team, and they quickly became my favorite. They were eliminated pretty much right away, but that didn't stop them from living it up, Paris-style.

The first day we were there we ran into them at Notre Dame, having a "street brawl" with the Brazilians:







A few days later, we got mooned by one while on the Bateaux Mouches on the Seine and serenaded by another in the metro (who was double-fisting the beer, I might add. These dudes were always trashed. But very fun to be around.)





I liked them so much I bought a Scotland t-shirt at the official store.



We were lucky to not be around the major riots in places like Marseilles. It got pretty out of hand. I must say the French and English teams were the least friendly people I saw. The Scots and Brazilians were always out and about, having a good time. You rarely saw the French or English players. Kind of reflective of their cultural differences, isn't it?

Anyway, the presence of all kinds of players and fans really added to my first French experience.

No comments: