Friday, January 11, 2008

I'm Back from the Evil Land of The Year-End Close

I kind of got slammed by year-end at work so perhaps that can explain my dropping off the face of the earth for the last two weeks or so. I was finally able to move on to January yesterday. Ah, to be back at Presto with the 8-hour close… *sigh*

Anywho, given that I’ve spent most of my waking hours contemplating inventory valuations, it’s a good thing that not much else has been going on. New Year’s Eve I had planned to work late and try to get a leg up on the day two estimate. That plan was shot when HR told everyone to go home at 3:30. Oh well. So I went home. We didn’t have any plans for celebrating the beginning of 2008 so that’s what we did - nothing. We were both asleep by 10. New Year’s Day was a holiday and aside from a fruitful shopping trip to Walmart (we got our twinkling icicle lights for next year really cheap!) I don’t remember doing much.

Then it was back to work with a few “going in early” days and even one “staying late” day (I try to avoid those – I’m much more a morning person.) I also worked about 5 hours last Saturday. The thrills of accountancy at year-end… The bells played at the 4:30 mass on Saturday night and then we had a wedding reception to go to. Except we didn’t make it out there. Adam and his dad spent all day Saturday down in the basement framing walls for Adam’s workshop (more on that later) so by the time 7:30 came around all Adam wanted to do was sit on the couch with his massaging seat cushion. Which was just fine with me. My brain hurt. Sunday was another day of them working in the basement, setting off gunshots to get nails into the concrete. I did what I could to get out of the house with shopping and the like. I eventually ended up trying to watch some of my “Dawson’s Creek” over the racket and had to resort to putting the captions on. They called it a night earlier than the day before and after his dad left we spent the rest of the evening catching up on some DVR shows.

Monday was the handbells Christmas party. I ended up not going for the dinner part, but I did meet them at the theater to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. As a side note, the reason this was our chosen activity is because we played “The Chipmunk Song” last year at our various programs and it’s a favorite of many of the ladies. Anyway, under normal circumstances I would have probably found this movie to be kind of stupid. But I guess I was with the right crowd to appreciate the stupidity of it. It’s a cute film, but nothing special.

Tuesday was pretty boring. On Wednesday someone from the county assessor’s office was supposed to stop by the house to look it over but she kept changing her mind on me. As of now she’s supposed to come next Wednesday but we’ll see. Adam made dinner – mini hamburgers on the grill – and not much else happened.

Last night was another uneventful evening. Once again we’re trying to play catch-up with the DVR. I’m just looking forward to being able to use Excel’s great “default to the current year” feature again. It’s so obnoxious having to type 12/31/2007 all the time so it doesn’t make it 2008.

As boring as things seem, it appears as though it might remain like this for awhile. Even though with the new year comes a whole new batch of vacation days, I don’t really have any planned use for them except for two Fridays for our annual camping trips in the Dells/Door County. Adam will be off in California the first week of February but I’ll be left behind for that. After last year’s ridiculous amount of hullabaloo for various reasons this year seems kind of dull. But I think I’ll be ok with it. It will give us time to do some much needed cleaning around the house and the like. Throughout the wedding and aftermath I just kind of shoved things into the closets in the two pet rooms and now I fear opening them back up to see what kind of evil lurks within. That might be my task for when Adam’s out of town. I still haven’t decided what to do with my wedding dress. *sigh*

Anywho, the weekend is completely blank on my calendar and my to-do list is mostly little things. I don’t know what Adam plans to do in the basement, if anything, so that might determine how my time is spent as well. I’m looking forward to making the second batch of ice cream either tonight or tomorrow. This one will be raspberry ice cream. Yum. Hopefully it’s not as rich as my first try. Otherwise I might have to start looking into the frozen yogurts (or ice milk… whatever happened to ice milk?) instead.

No comments: