Thursday, November 04, 2010

Martha's Top Ten: John Irving Edition

I admit I'm still working my way (albeit very slowly) through Last Night in Twisted River so this list might not be totally accurate. I also seem to remember I couldn't bring myself to read all of Setting Free the Bears so perhaps that's a little unfair as well. But oh well. This is my list.

10) A Son of the Circus

9) The Water-Method Man

8) The 158-Pound Marriage

7) Until I Find You

6) The Hotel New Hampshire

5) The Fourth Hand

4) A Prayer for Owen Meany

3) The World According to Garp

2) The Cider House Rules

1) A Widow for One Year

I don't have a lot to say about many of these individually. John Irving's style and subject matter is divisive at times and it's a matter of taste as to who likes him and who doesn't. All of his books touch on many of the same themes and I enjoy reading and re-reading them. He makes up a good percentage of my home libary.

No comments: